Discuss External PIR Security Lights - Advice on DIY install in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

infaddict

Hi guys, happy new year to you all - I hope the hangovers have recovered by now! I'm also hoping you pro's out there can give me some advice. I've just moved into a brand new house (4 bed bungalow) and the driveway and garden are pitch black at night, so I'm looking to install 1 or 2 PIR security lights for security and also so I can see when arriving home at night or popping out to the garage at night.

Installation in my external garage might be easier because it means I don't need to crawl about the loft space. However, the garage is about 25 metres up a driveway so I'd need to make sure my light could light the whole driveway. I'd like some advice on :

1. whether a competent DIY'er could install these lights without breaking any regs - do these come under part P as they are external?
  2. wiring the lights e.g. wiring into lighting circuit or socket circuit etc.
  3. opinions on halogen lights vs newer LED lights. Seems hard to find comparison on lumens emitted. I'm worried that whilst the LED's might be cheaper to run, they won't be bright enough for my long drive way. Saying as the lights will only be on for 5-10 seconds, cost isn't my big worry.

Here's the current situation (maybe too much info but might help!) :

House
Main consumer unit with 2xRCD
Main switch 100A
Garage MCB 16A
Lighting / Alarm MCB 6A
Lighting / Door Bell MCB 6A
Sockets MCB 32A
Sockets MCB 32A
plus others for smoke alarm, oven, heating, grid switch and hob.
(why I have 2 MCB's for lights and sockets I'm not sure, possibly to split the load?)

Garage
2 switch consumer unit in garage
Main switch 63A
Lighting MCB 6A (only 1 ceiling light)
Socket MCB 16A (only 1 double socket)

Any advice on my 3 points above is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

You can so what you want if competent . It's hard to say without seeing it , but if you did get spark in I'm sure would be good job and last a long time with no problems. You could tap off garage light and install a a big flood light and see how it goes or you could add bollards right down you driveway but always get few quotes if you don't know a spark. Led flood lights are good. But il say again if you don't know, you don't know. Maybe someone here close to you.

Hi,

Others will give more experienced advice than myself but heres my thoughts:

Point 1. I expect a competent DIYer like yourself could do the actual wiring, but to do it safely along with all the testing I would say 'No'. As for the law, then 'yes' they definitely do come under Part P, so you shouldn't be doing it.

Point 2. They can be wired from the lights or sockets, if from the sockets then you would need a fused connection unit. Sounds like you might be planning 2 x 500w lights so roughly 4.5 amps which should be ok on your garage lighting circuit, but you wouldn't have much scope to add too many more lights into your garage at a later date if you choose to.

Point 3. Dont know.

I expect the 2 seperate MCB's for sockets are for a ring in the kitchen and a seperate one for the rest of the house, or perhaps just seperate for upstairs/downstairs. Same sought of thing with the lights upstairs/downstairs, but without actually seeing it its difficult to say. I wouldn't trust anything thats actually written on the Consumer unit with regards identifying MCB's as it could have been changed a great deal over time.

1. I'd actually be amazed if a DIY'er could do the install without breaking any regs - but without upsetting the other sparks on here, i'll keep my opinion to myself on this one.

2. Take it from the lights in the garage, yes as hippy said you can take it from the sockets via a FCU but IMO when its just as easy to take it from the lights its bad practice to take it from the radial.

3. Impossible to say without seeing the install really, depends on the actual length of your drive as to which fitting is suitable. LED floods, like i=p/u are pretty decent, and at a guess might be the better option, but without seeing its hard to say really.

If you're unsure get a spark to give you a quote, and maybe take abit of advice from someone who can actually see the install for themselves.

1. I'd actually be amazed if a DIY'er could do the install without breaking any regs - but without upsetting the other sparks on here, i'll keep my opinion to myself on this one.

2. Take it from the lights in the garage, yes as hippy said you can take it from the sockets via a FCU but IMO when its just as easy to take it from the lights its bad practice to take it from the radial.

3. Impossible to say without seeing the install really, depends on the actual length of your drive as to which fitting is suitable. LED floods, like i=p/u are pretty decent, and at a guess might be the better option, but without seeing its hard to say really.

If you're unsure get a spark to give you a quote, and maybe take abit of advice from someone who can actually see the install for themselves.

Quite right, I should have been more encompassing in my answer.

Thanks for all the quick replies guys. As it's a brand new house, I do want to remain within the law and ensure compliance with regs. Because if I come to sell it in a few years time I will need certificates for any additional work done etc. So on that basis, because of Part P and external lights, I will get some quotes from Part P approved electrician's.

I will supply the hardware myself as have found some good sale items online. I also have reels of 1, 1.5 (and upwards) cable from years ago. So hopefully just the labour I'm paying for. Will a good electrician provide a certificate (or similar) to say the work was completed by them and prove they are Part P registered?

As a spark . Don't you just like bungalows ...

Haha as a homeowner it has lots of advantages too. All the wiring and piping comes ceiling down, meaning its easily accessible without lifting floors. So ceiling lights are easy to reach etc. Oh and you never leave anything upstairs haha - loving it so far!

Thanks for all the quick replies guys. As it's a brand new house, I do want to remain within the law and ensure compliance with regs. Because if I come to sell it in a few years time I will need certificates for any additional work done etc. So on that basis, because of Part P and external lights, I will get some quotes from Part P approved electrician's.

I will supply the hardware myself as have found some good sale items online. I also have reels of 1, 1.5 (and upwards) cable from years ago. So hopefully just the labour I'm paying for. Will a good electrician provide a certificate (or similar) to say the work was completed by them and prove they are Part P registered?

Without sturring-up an age old debate on this subject - be careful who you employ buddy, make sure they've got a good reputation in your area - i applaud you for getting it done properly though. I don't mind clients providing equipment, but the electrician will let you know whether its good gear or not :)

Yes you'll be provided by an installation cert if they install the lights on a new circuit, or a minor works if they're adding to an existing circuit.

Good luck and all the best, Mark.

by all means supply the light but let the electrician supply the cable,the stuff you have from "years ago" may be the wrong colours ie red and black as opposed to brown and blue,cable isnt that dear and also it will be covered by the electricians guarantee whereas parts supplied by you will not.

4 Bedroom bungalow sounds absolutely pukka. Definitely call round and find some good pros. They might be able to give you some better ideas on what else you can do. Nice houses with crap wiring and electrical installations stick out like a sore thumb. Can totally ruin the look of a nice house.

I'm in the North East, NE34 postcode. I will ask around friends and family to see if they have used anybody recently who have done a good job. I also know several mates in other trades (kitchen fitter, bathroom fitter) who work regularly with electricians so will ask them for some names as well. I'll make sure they are approved and will provide a certificate.

i applaud you for getting it done properly though

No worries, I know my limits and whilst confident I could do the job, where regs are concerned I always play it safe.

Well a rare one indeed a diy'er who asks for our advice and appears to be taking it, isnt that what we all want? wish they were all that good, thank you INFADDICT you have restored my faith in humanity.I knew there had to still be some intelligent life out there.

Yes, quite refreshing......and....
I'm sure there are a few old sods around here that could help, with that post code.

Guys, quick update. Found a recommended electrician who is installing the 2 lights including an IP65 switch for £50 inc VAT. Very reasonable in my opinion. I have checked the NICEIC website to confirm they are registered and they are. Job being done early next week so I am very happy. Thanks once again for the advice.

I'll be back later in the year with some questions about garden lighting!!

Guys, quick update. Found a recommended electrician who is installing the 2 lights including an IP65 switch for £50 inc VAT. Very reasonable in my opinion. I have checked the NICEIC website to confirm they are registered and they are. Job being done early next week so I am very happy. Thanks once again for the advice.

I'll be back later in the year with some questions about garden lighting!!

Being registered by the NICEIC or any other Scam Provider, doesn't mean they are qualified electricians unfortunately, They could well be a 17 day or 5 week wonder trained guy with meaningless qualification and Zero electrical work experience!! It's sad i know, but unfortunately true i'm afraid...

Far better to ask around for recommendations from people you can trust...

Reply to External PIR Security Lights - Advice on DIY install in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net