Discuss Extract fan damp prob, more powerful bathroom fan needed...advice please :) in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

robd

-
Arms
Reaction score
Evening all and a Happy New Year to everybody.

Got a bathroom fan query, my brother lives in a newish house and his bathroom upstairs is in the middle of the house, no windows so relies totally on the extractor to get rid of all the steam after the morning showers. At the mo he's got a standard 4 inch 240v ceiling mounted jobby, something like a greenwood from memory. Anyway it's not really clearing it as it should and the bathroom isn't really ever getting dried out, I've suggested a centrifugal fan should be more powerful but the last time I fitted any of those was about 4 or 5 years ago so wondered if anyone had any thoughts on what would be best to use.

It's ceiling mounted, 4'' flexi duct that goes about 2 or 3 metres then straight out the gable end wall to a grill.

Many thanks,
Rob

Have a look at the TLC-direct website, they have a fan size calculator. It did the job for me, i ended up replacing a 4 inch timed fan with a 6 inch turbo fan, not cheap but very effective.

Cheers.........Howard

Thanks Howard, I think I managed to crack the info it was after :dizzy2:

I think basically a 5'' inch fan would do a better job than the 4'' that's in. However I don't want to faff about trying to make the existing 4'' core hole through the outside wall into a 5'', hence why I was thinking of a centrifugal fan to eliminate the problem. Asthetically the 5'' would prob look better than a great big boxey thing that I had in mind like the centrifugal ones that I have fitted in the past are. I will just have to put the 5'' flexi into a 4'' reducer to connect to the outside vent I guess.

That 4inch should be adequate enough, what sort of grille is mounted outside?

I had a similar problem at home, i found the fault to be the gravity grille, the force of the fan just wasnt enough to push the grille open, try a open louvre one, surely got to be worth a try for you?

Thanks hadn't thought of that, can't remember but have got a feeling it could be a gravity one, he lives 5 hours down the road from me so I'll get him to have a look :) cheers

Reply to Extract fan damp prob, more powerful bathroom fan needed...advice please :) in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net