Discuss Failed Solar Edge optimser in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All,

It looks like I have a failed SE optimiser (showing zero voltage on monitoring portal). The system was installed in November 2011.

My installation company appears to have been dissolved. What are my options for getting it replaced?

We are in SN14, near Bath.

Thanks,

Andy

Contact solar edge direct as the warranty is 25 years. They will send out a new one. However they may want you to have an installer stood by to fit it. They will also want to look at the optimiser over the internet to confirm the diagnosis.

I have replaced 4 optimisers in the last year and SE have always responded promptly, say within 24 hours. Do not forget sunday is a working day for them but not saturday.

They have fixed rate for inverters/optimisers etc, but you have to be known to them to be eligible. Last time I did an optimiser it was £105. Peanuts. The 2 good things were I could see which one was broken online and I was able to walk out onto the roof to replace it in minutes few. I did it for the reputation of being able to fix things rather than the money! The UK office will email you the procedure.

They have fixed rate for inverters/optimisers etc, but you have to be known to them to be eligible. Last time I did an optimiser it was £105. Peanuts. The 2 good things were I could see which one was broken online and I was able to walk out onto the roof to replace it in minutes few. I did it for the reputation of being able to fix things rather than the money! The UK office will email you the procedure.

The last SE system I done the optimisers were part of the panel rather than the separate unit. Is that the norm now?

SE technical support might be able to re-pair the optimiser remotely without a site visit from anyone.

However, the most likely result is that the faulty optimiser needs replacing. SE have some "service partners" around the country who they might send to complete the replacement for you.

I've always found their service to be pretty good.

So far not impressed by SE support responsiveness. Trouble ticket raised on the 15th remains dormant. I called them yesterday to be kept on hold for ages at position 1 in the queue. Selected call-back option and, guess what, no call back!

The failed optimiser seems to communicate every morning and reports the module voltage so is still partly working. Interestingly, there are no alerts raised on the system. For anyone interested here's some more info. On the chart, red line is module voltage, green is optimiser output.

Screen Shot 2016-02-18 at 09.39.24.png

Screen Shot 2016-02-18 at 09.32.36.png

Last edited:
Update: Sent SE a message on Facebook and was contacted by their UK support. New Optimiser required. They will arrange a service partner to come and fit it at no charge. My faith is restored!

Update: Sent SE a message on Facebook and was contacted by their UK support. New Optimiser required. They will arrange a service partner to come and fit it at no charge. My faith is restored!

Yes, that was always the most likely scenario although I've not tried the Facebook route. You need to ensure that the new optimiser gets paired to the inverter and then the new optimiser's serial number needs registering on the portal to replace the one that gets removed.

Reply to Failed Solar Edge optimser in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net