Discuss Fault Finding - Dead in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

whazza22

I apologise in advance if this has been posted many times by others :D

Im after some help on fault finding for my AM2 exam. Apparently you only get an continuity tester and insulation resistance.

Would just like to know some information on testing different circuits and how to locate the problem by using the reading from the tester, such as shirt circuit etc.

What understanding of dead testing do you already ?

Always carry out visual inspections first, you'll find about 80% of the fault finding process to be visual anyway.
Do you understand the difference between a low reading ohmmeter and an insulation resistance tester?
Do you understand the importance of removing voltage sensitive equipment out from the insulation resistance test?
Do you understand the importance of making sure all switches are in the 'ON' position when carrying out the insulation resistance test? As well as carrying out the test twice on two way switching so to accommodate the other strapper?.

Apologies for the common sense question, but we have no current idea to your understanding so we cannot help you to the best of our ability..

David

Yeah I understand all of those.

Just after a bit more information on open circuit, short circuit etc. (faults you would pick up on dead tests) such as where to start finding and rectifying

i only got a continuity on my am2 for fualt finding

as long as you know how the circuits work your testing youl be fine on it the visual fualts stick out like a sore thumb

the fualts i got was cross connection
polarity
open circuit

there was no shorts but they could have it in the new am2

Just after a bit more information on open circuit, short circuit etc. (faults you would pick up on dead tests) such as where to start finding and rectifying

this depends on the fualt do you know what open circuit is
do you know what short circuit is

no offence but if you dont then your not ready for this exam

Last edited by a moderator:

Well short circuit and open circuit are fairly simple for diagnosis???

Simply break the installation down in steps to trace any discovered faults?

Simples!!

Simples.jpg

Reply to Fault Finding - Dead in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net