Discuss Fault on PV System in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

norfolksparky

Hi all,

I am new to the forum so be easy! Lol!

I have installed a 2kw pv system on a house near me 8 panels, sma 2000hf inverter etc etc. I have fired the system up but have only got 0.8A and 104 watts. The sun is blazing here today and can't work out why. I will head back tomorrow to investigate and wondered if anyone can give me some advice as a heads up. I am a sparky by trade so fairly clued up on watts, amps, voltage, volt drop etc etc.

Thanks

Voltage on the inverter states 272v and current 0.8A. I am yet to try the Isc as I didnt have time, just turned it off until tomorrow. i measeured the Voc of the string and found 272v so figured things were looking good, until I turned it on! Lol!

No it was designed by supplier, Ubbink! The panels are Voc 37.2v Isc 8.42A. Can you give me some expected test results before I start please. The only thing was an eversolar inverter was specified but it turned up damaged and they dropped of the sma and said it would be fine?

No it was designed by supplier, Ubbink! The panels are Voc 37.2v Isc 8.42A. Can you give me some expected test results before I start please. The only thing was an eversolar inverter was specified but it turned up damaged and they dropped of the sma and said it would be fine?

What make model no and wattage our the panels

ubbink 250wp modules???????????

The panels are Ubbink but I can't find any info on them i think they are made by someone and re labelled/brended which doesn't help. Think i will stick to know brands from now on. What sort of readings should I be expecting?

Voc = 297v allowing for tempreture i would be expecting to see 280-290 - Isc is 8.42@ STC, so expect to see 2-3amp, maybe more, i dont often see Isc at STC figures, on a dull day you'd be lucky to get anything over 1 amp.

Testing VOC is a different reading to what the inverter is seeing, inverter will display running voltage rather than open ended voltage - relax man.

Added: Ubink are Delsolar panels.

Last edited:
so why the 0.8A running and only around 110 watts? The Irradiance was off the scale of the meter, the sun was blazing hot! Ouch red all over! LOL!

What time was it? was it shaded by scaffold pipes? trees? theres 2 reasons why - if the VOC is correct then you know the string is wired correct. It only takes 1,2 or 3 scaff pipes to shading 1 or 2 panels at it will drag the system down something silly.

there was a couple of panels shaded yesterday but tried it again today when it was in full sun and it was the same ish, wattage 66 watts. I have set the inverter to G83 already aswell.

I'll put a tenner on the system being significantly shaded. Hopefully only by the scaffolding as Dan says.

A tiny bit of shading run the wrong way across the bypass diodes / strings of cells on the panels can cause a hell of a drop in output.

If there was a small amount of shading would it pull it down that much? from would i think should be 1500w to 1700w to around 100 watts? The system only generated 4.4 kw/hr today?

Reply to Fault on PV System in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net