Discuss Fire alarm systems in House divided into flats in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

Ken77

Hi all,

I just wanted to double check what the ruling where in respect of fire alarms systems for a three storey house which is divided into three self contained flats with the only communal area being the hallway.

What grade fire system should I be looking at? Is it necessary to have fire control panel and Grade A system?

What I was proposing to do was a mixed system so:

I'd treat each of the three flats seperately, each with its own Grade D smoke alarm system - which I understand is acceptable as they are self contained.
But how do I treat the communial hallway?

Any help and guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

you would normally have a fire panel controlling landlords areas and a smoke detector from this system inside each flat entrance, and a domestic independant system in each flat also not linked anywhere outside the flat, sounders and smokes/ heats from the panel in communal areas and a interface linked to the door entry system, most fire officers insist on a second means of escape also, so a electric window is usually also installed in the building somewhere, JMO

Im sure you will find that because it's over two floors, you will need a full system (zoned)with back up including break glasses. Not sure if using Aico detectors complies.
With regards to your question about the type of system required. This depends on the risk assessment.

Hope this helps

I know you don't mention Aico but from reading between the lines I am guessing

Best thing to do is wait for the HMO licence and Fire officers report, before starting any installation.
Most will as aske for grade A with possible heats in flats plus seperate solo mains smoke detector.
usual fire system on landings and circulation areas.

Reply to Fire alarm systems in House divided into flats in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net