Discuss Firemans switch in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Farmelectrics

-
Arms
Reaction score
Can someone refresh my mind I have to get supply to new neon sign tommorow I no the drill swa cable to firemans switch then on to me on sign we have one of these due to high voltages in the neon light but were do we get these high voltages from if we're only giving it a 230v supply I've had this before but can't remember your help please

Can someone refresh my mind I have to get supply to new neon sign tommorow I no the drill swa cable to firemans switch then on to me on sign we have one of these due to high voltages in the neon light but were do we get these high voltages from if we're only giving it a 230v supply I've had this before but can't remember your help please

From the ballasts?

you av a transformer for neons

Neon operates at high voltage via transformers between 5-10kv dependant on tube runs with built in earth leakage trips in the transformer.
be aware there are some old transformers still about that do not have the trips in and are illegal to use now for commercial use.
Been a while since i've done neon as everyone has moved on to led or cold cathode nowdays, can be an art to fit correctly.

The actual switch itself is not designed for any high voltages , its designed so a fireman can reach up and lock it off using his axe-pick tip whilst stood on the ground , thus isolating exterior signs which will have high voltage ballasts.
There is a specific height for it to be mounted but cant remember , around the 9 ft mark if i recall.

yes as biff says, there is a set of regs for the install. have a copy somewhere but may be to 16th as not done any for ages. will see if i can find them. some extra items may be stipulated dependant on the property its installed as most of what i used to fit was on licenced buildings over the years so the 7671 was only a guideline.

Masonlite are one of the big suppliers and have some good info on their web for regs and calculations and will give you an idea of the transformers you may come across. as said nomal voltages you will find for a standard shopfront will be 5,7.5 and 10kv but you will find self contained baby ones around 3kv and are not much bigger than a lv tranny. good luck.

Many of the modern Neon shop front signage are now down to 1 to 1.5KV.

The position of these fireman switches now seem to be at the discretion of the local fire chief. I know that you won't see a single fireman's switch on a shop frontage at the Lakeside shopping centre in Essex, they are all mounted in designated service corridor cupboards!! Which to me completely defeats the whole idea of a shop's fireman's safety switch. Can't honestly say i have noticed any fireman switches at other large shopping centre complexes in the UK either, so i reckon the same situation applies ... lol!!

Reply to Firemans switch in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net