Discuss First MFT Advice (Megger or Di-log) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi

I just bought a Di-log 9118 (haven't used it yet), and i'm just having a few second thoughts as i have realised that i could have got a Megger MFT1711 for a similar price. I only want to get something at the lower end price wise to start with (ie £500-£600) mainly to do domestic work for myself/family for now as i'm still training. A MFT1741+ would be nice, but realistically i'm not going to be using the five hundred quids worth of extra features for potentially a while. Its really difficult to know what to do when they are both a similar price. As far as i can tell the differences are:

Megger MFT1711 advantages:
3 year warranty compared with 2 (big advantage)
Z Max (sounds useful)
2 wire non trip

Di-log 9118 advantages:
Has some three phase functions (phase rotation and three phase line impedance)
included switched probe
Potentially better/more accurate non trip impedence readings due to their RCD XLT tech (but this just could be marketing gumpf). Ive read that the lower end Megger's can be bad for RCD uplift etc.

I know Megger are seen as a premium brand and Di-log not so much, and as i have trained with a Megger, im wondering if i have made the wrong decision and should have gone with the MFT1711?

I'm really torn as to what to do so any advice would be appreciated as I need to make a decision soon on whether i'm going to return the 9118 or not.

I don't have any experience of the Di-Log, though I do have a 1711 (bought second hand).

If you're doing mostly domestic, then the 2 wire non trip can be a godsend, particularly if testing at light switches with no neutral. Not sure if the Di-log has anything similar? Obviously it compromises accuracy, but can still be used to get useful figures where it would otherwise be difficult.

That may be more useful than the phase rotation if you plan to mostly do domestic at first - though if you're training in commercial too it will obviously be useful there..

The 1711 appears to be mostly bulletproof and will take lots of abuse. The leads aren't always the best I've found, but lead replacements are easy to do.

The Zmax is definitely a useful feature if doing EICRs or similar.

Not sure about RCD uplift, but I do get quite different readings sometimes with the Lo vs Hi loop testing on mine, and there seems to be an issue with accuracy of low readings for Ze, compared to other testers... That may be my tester though, not a Megger thing generally. (It's calibrated to within Megger standards).

I've never had to use them, but I've heard less positive stories about Megger support in the past, particularly in terms of older equipment, but that may be an issue with supporting out of warranty items rather than current models.

Hopefully someone on here uses the Di-Log and can offer their experience of it.

Thanks for the reply. It is a really tricky one.

Another thing i have noticed is that the Megger is actually IP rated (54) and also has a category IV rating where as the Di-log is only category III and has no dust or water ingress rating as far as i can tell.

The warranty is a biggy for me. If the Di-log goes wrong after 2 years and 2 months, i will be kicking myself for not getting the Megger.

Phase sequence consistency can be fairly easily checked other ways.
2 wire non-trip is indeed really handy, my spare tester doesn't have this and I miss it quickly!
If it was the same price I'd 100% go for the Megger.

Megger all the way .my 1553 is 13 years old, used all the time. no trip and hi give very close results. but no trip is 3 wire. go for a Megger 1711 to get the 2 wire no trip.

I have the Di-log 9118 and it is OK. In retrospect I think I ought to have got the higher-end Megger for the 3-wire earth rod testing but really for most stuff the Di-Log seems fine. however, I don't have any real experience of the similar Megger MFT.

For IR and continuity I tend to use my older Megger MIT230 anyway as it seems more responsive and is easier to carry around, but really if you are buying an instrument for electrical work a single MFT is definitely the way to do.

Again not a common requirement but I do wish that one of my meters did a 100V IR test for the likes of network cable, etc.

To throw another into the mix, Metrel do some good testers at good prices. The Mi3000 is a solid bit of kit.

Thats interesting. What is it about the Di-log's IR test that you dont like?
Can't speak for that model but my older Di-Log used to be be quite slow at continuity and IR tests. I've parted company with that one now. (My old favourite that I can't bear to part with is an old Megger BM403, still works and it's super-fast. It sometimes comes out to play when fault finding.)

Thats interesting. What is it about the Di-log's IR test that you dont like?
A couple of small points:
  • It uses "soft menu" buttons on the side of the display and I don't really use it enough to get really familiar with them, so that is always a bit of a check/think/look at book aspect.
  • I find the IR / low R a bit slower than my MIT230, not a disaster, but noticeable.
  • It goes to 299 M where as my MIT230 goes to 999 Mohm. Not necessary for general sparky work (I mought the MIT230 for another electronics project) but just a little nicer to know how things are going at really high R values.
However, you also have to consider it offers a good feature range for the cost (like 3-phase rotation which I wanted) and that is why I bought mine. If I were doing again, or was doing sparky work as a profession, I would be thinking of a higher-end one with a few extra features and just grin and bear the higher cost.

TL;DR It is OK for the price.

Thanks for everyone's input. I think i'm going to go for the Megger. The main reason being the extra years warranty. An extra year with no risk of it turning into a £600 paper weight is certainly worth it i think.

Also, from first impressions the Di-log doesnt feel as well made as the Meggers i have used at my training centre. It isnt bad, but the rotary dial feels very light/cheap and the whole unit flexes a bit if you hold it firmly. The Meggers i have used feel very solid and the rotary dials and buttons feel more "premium". Also, from the specification, the Megger is IP54 rated and Category 4 safety rated. The Di-log doesnt seem to have any IP rating and is only category 3 rated (might not be a big deal for just domestic work, but could be something to consider). I get the impression the Meggers are probably just better made/more robust.

Seen as functionality wise they are very similar in what they can do, i think the build quality and warranty probably tips the Megger over the edge for me.

Another thing is that as my career progresses i will probably end up getting something that can do almost everything like a MFT1741+ (or whatever the equivalent is from Megger in the future). I could then use the 1711 as a back up/secondary tester and it will be useful to have continuity in how the testers function as i imagine Megger keep functionality very similar through new iterations.

like with a lot of purchases though, ive probably been overthinking it and either would have been fine!

Reply to First MFT Advice (Megger or Di-log) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net