Discuss Floodlight and existing wiring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi All

I am a seeking help and advice from you lovely sparkis, I have removed a old flood light which was fitted 25 years ago by a friend of a friend. I have replaced the old light with a new flood light with a sensor connected to it. I have noticed the porch wall switch activates the ceiling light and the flood light together, I have removed the floorboards upstairs and noticed the ceiling electric cable has been cut into and spurred off with another cable which connects to the flood light outside. What's the best option please can I do any of the following

1. Connect a junction box to the cables which have been cut into previously in the past and spur off there by connecting a wall socket so I can connect the flood light cable and run of the wall socket.

2. Find a existing socket in the next room and spur off there to the area where I want to fit a new wall socket and connect the flood light to that power source.

3. Or just connect a junction box to the old previous wiring which was cut and spur off there but it will only work if the light switch is on in the porch

can someone please help and advice ?

KInd Regards

Jason

Attachments

You don't have permission to view attachments. Attachments are hidden.

westward10

Esteemed
Reaction score
That connection is not good or safe and needs connection in a maintenance free enclosure. I would strongly recommend you get an electrician to redo that connection as it is realistically beyond DIY to do it in a compliant manner they can then recommend how to connect the new light.

pc1966

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
That is a horrendous junction!

It is not clear if there is enough slack to allow a proper MF (maintenance free) box to be used, it might need another MF junction elsewhere to allow more cable to be inserted so it can be done safely and without undue strain on the cables.

SparkySy

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi that joint definitely needs attention. I would put a quinetic switch in I think then the existing cable can be joined at the switch and used as the feed to the quinetic. The cables to the porch light can then become the switch live from the quinetic and the sensor light can be permanently live. (Or you could go 2 way quinetic if you want to switch both)
Sy

Reply to Floodlight and existing wiring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

W
Hi guys. ive been asked to swap an old halogen flood light for a new led one with built in PIR. The existing light is at about 6m off ground level. has anyone ever mounted a LED flood at this Height and had no issues with PIR detection? TIA
Replies
Views
telectrix
telectrix
D
Hello all I'm to add an external flood light with pir with a switch indoors to turn on & off I have a RCBO consumer unit Question is .... 1 - do I come of the lighting circuit into a swith then out to junction box to feed the light Or 2 - I have a fused spur, shall I come of this into the...
Replies
Views
DNO1981
D
GBDamo
Customer wants a Dusk 'til Dawn only 50W+ flood light. Currently he has the normal stand alone photo cell with a standard LED flood but is complaining that "its either one or the other" that goes and he would rather the photo cell be replaced with a JB and have a flood mounted sensor, but no...
Replies
Views
baldelectrician
baldelectrician
G
I have a exterior flood light, this circuit also is connected to my kitchen lights and 2 other outside lights. All lights work fine except the flood light. Once the flood light is turned on the breaker trips, all other lights are off and it will still trip. This is an arc fault breaker if the...
Replies
Views
Soi disant
Soi disant
R
I want to replace an existing sensor activated exterior light with a RCD socket and a switch controlled light. Is this OK to do. So interrupt existing wire with RCD. Connect top outlet of RCD to external light switch. Connect bulkhead light to light switch?
Replies
Views
DPG

Electrical News from Electricians Forums and Friends

E
  • Article
Want to become a qualified electrician? Look carefully at the training courses on offer to avoid wasting time and money, is the advice in a new campaign from electrical industry body The Electrotechnical Skills Partnership (TESP). With thousands of searches each year on terms such as...
Replies
Views
Marty92
Dan
  • Article
You can now link your account with social media by going to the following page. https://www.electriciansforums.net/account/connected-accounts/ We had this feature some time ago but I removed it when Facebook was found to be selling the data they collected without informing the users of what...
Replies
Views
Dan
Dan
  • Article
There was a dodgy advert, typical clickbait, showing "how to save 90% on your electricity bill" which was not the case and it was actually showing some dangerous wiring tactics. Read the actual threads here:- What should be the code for this - C2 or C3 -...
Replies
Views
Jurassic Sparks
Jurassic Sparks
James
  • Article
The Go Plus hot tub is being recalled because you could get electrocuted taking a dip, according to press releases from the Chartered Trading Standards Institute (CTSI). An Amazon spokesperson said: "Safety is a top priority at Amazon. "We require all products offered in our store to comply...
Replies
Views
Dave Appleby
D
Dan
  • Article
Posted on behalf of @CKI:C.K-Tools Carl Kammerling International Ltd, also known to as ‘CKI’, are the company behind the C.K Tools brand. Founded in Germany in 1904 and with roots stretching back to 1790, we provide a wide range of hand tools, tool storage, power tool accessories and...
Replies
Views
telectrix
telectrix

Search Forum

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.