Discuss FULL REWIRE, Smokes and extractor fans compulsory? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

TPES

If doing a full house rewire are you now supposed to install mains interlinked smoked detectors and extractor fans to kitchen and bathroom?

Isn't this covered in Part B or building regs and not Part P that we have to comply too?

If the customer says they dont want any smokes or extractor fans then are you perfectly fine to leave them out..?

If your client does not want these items installed then you don't install them ( get it writing )
However smokes don't cost a lot ( tell him you will install them free of charge - for own peice of mind , make him feel guilty )

Interconnected smoke detectors are now standard in rewire situations as are extractor fans. If the building nedded a warrent to do the work then these are nedded to sign off the work as well as test sheets

In Past re-wires i have been asked for these to be put in or i have mentioned them to the customer and they have said "Oh yes i didnt think of that, yes install them please"

But ive not had a customer strictly say.. No, i dont want them!

So if i do as they say and dont fit fans or smokes, I'll still be testing and notifying to LABC without going against and regs?

Last edited by a moderator:
Did a rewire for the council on a full grants job No smokes allowed for
Advised the inspector and was told,cant afford more money,no requirement because its not new build

I wrote him a letter to have proof of my advise and noted on cert
Since then any other grant work I have been involved in,they now stipulate smokes,but its not maybe a definite req, like a new build.
I think they just didn't like the responsibility on their shoulders,so now cover their rears

The Building Regulations 1991 require all new and refurbished dwellings to be fitted with mains operated smoke alarms.

Refurbished generally means that structural building work has taken place a rewire is not included.

The Building Regulations 1991 require all new and refurbished dwellings to be fitted with mains operated smoke alarms.

Refurbished generally means that structural building work has taken place a rewire is not included.

The way I understand it is the same as Sintra. Smokes / Heats not compulsory for a rewire, only a refurb. Same as positioning of switches and sockets not having to comply with Part M on a rewire, only a refurb.
As long as you don't take out existing smokes there is no requirement to add them. It's just recommended!! :D

Basically a rewire is the same as any electrical work....as long as you don't leave the place any less compliant than when you got there, you are fine (apart from ensuring rings are intact and bonding is present before changing CCU's etc)

I dont give them the option with either, just build it into the quote. When all said and done it isnt much more of a job to do when you are rewiring.

always install smoke alams(mains) in a new installation and a heat detector in the kitchen for safety reasons and to meet regs that states tat all new installations shall have installed smoke/ fire alarms , also i install an extractor fan in the bathroom of some type(either wall or ceiling), the kitchen is another matter as far as i'm concerned as there are filters (hob extractors) and there are the wall mounted fans / ceiling fans etc, tat choice i leave with the customer as depend on the kitchen design and equipement.I'm not saying that it's writen in stone but thats how i see it..:p

I agree shane, it makes good sense too, but if the customer says "I don't want them" I still have no evidence to show the customer that they have too.

Dont forget that a couple of low energy bulbs are compulsory in a rewire - Don't have my Part P book to hand for the calculations but will try and post again later. (unless someone else can put the requirements in the meantime?)

T :)

I agree shane, it makes good sense too, but if the customer says "I don't want them" I still have no evidence to show the customer that they have too.
Sorry to resurface a dead post TPES; but I have the same problem. Smoke alarms - not problems. Fans - customer wont budge, will not have them. Did you find anything in writing? There is a garden room - so I think I will have to put a fan in there as its having a toilet without purge and its a conversion to a toilet. But the main house is just a rewire and a bathroom and kitchen remodel (by the builder not me)

Reply to FULL REWIRE, Smokes and extractor fans compulsory? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net