Discuss Fused spur off a ring main cable size question in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yes it is a standard cct now but by using a 4mm spur only makes it non-standard, not wrong.

I would tend to agree....as long as it was properly designed and executed. The problem is what starts out as 2 twins on a 4.0mm spur might escalate into a whole radial on said spur.Thats why we have the one point per unfused spur guidance,makes sense in my opinion.

I would like to mention something here chaps but as far as I am aware you sohuld not be using 1.5 T/E cable in a ring main period. When you spur off you should use 2.5 T/E cable. If you were spuring off to a lighting circuit then from the spur you would use 1.5 T/E but beofre the spur 2.5 T/E.
As already mentioned the load would be way to much under these conditions. Just look at your appliances and add up the amps needed and you will find it is way more than 13A.
Once you have spured off you can add as many sockets as you like within under the regs but again you have to work out what you are going to plug into it.

Best bet would either be to extend the ring main or run a new cable from the consumer unit.

Hope it works out

Gerry

The OP was asking if it is acceptable to use 1.5mm on the load side of a FUSED(13a) spur....which if you refer to the BRB app 15 you will find can run an unlimited number of sockets.
It has already been pointed out that in the circumstances a fused spur,either 2'5mm or 1'5mm will not supply the proposed load.

I was refering to truckster's advice to take a 4mm non fused spur to do the 2 sockets

I definitely agree.
If you are taking a spur from a ring, you can only have one double socket at the most. But if you are coming of a FCU then it's unlimited amount bearing in mind that your limited to 13amps.

And someone mentioned about not being able to use 1.5mm? As has been said previously. You have fused the circuit down to 13a and (off the top of my head) 1.5 can take around 26a

I definitely agree.
If you are taking a spur from a ring, you can only have one double socket at the most. But if you are coming of a FCU then it's unlimited amount bearing in mind that your limited to 13amps.

And someone mentioned about not being able to use 1.5mm? As has been said previously. You have fused the circuit down to 13a and (off the top of my head) 1.5 can take around 26a

Ok its 20a ref method c
Even ref method a is 14.5 and it's still higher than 13a :)

Ignore what I just posted, iPhone playing up and sent it prematurely...
As I was trying to say is it correct to assume the BS7671 book is open to interpretation?
Anyhoo, it's all change now, they can't make their minds up... It's been decided the washing machine and tumble drier is to go in the extension currently being built.
I am going to spur off the ring main for the 2 new sockets using a fcu, and use 2.5mm t/e no heavy loads are going to use it.
The extension is part of the kitchen, only a separate room, is ok to extend the kitchen ring main into the extension? It will house a tumble drier and washing machine and possibly a fridge.

I really dont get why you dont just extend the ring main using a 30a junction box?

Welcome to the forum johnelectrician.
I've not read the whole thread, but the OP wanted more than one socket on the spur, so it has to be fused to prevent overloading the spur. See appendix of BS7671.
By the way, the OP has probably finished the job by now, being a year on!

Welcome to the forum johnelectrician.
I've not read the whole thread, but the OP wanted more than one socket on the spur, so it has to be fused to prevent overloading the spur. See appendix of BS7671.
By the way, the OP has probably finished the job by now, being a year on!

or he could of just extended the ring final circuit aslong as its within 100sqm, i thoought this would of been the preffered method that putting a 13a fused spur in place?

Like using a non standard (but well thought out ) circuit, there are also no rules precluding one from contributing to a year old thread :)

or he could of just extended the ring final circuit aslong as its within 100sqm, i thoought this would of been the preffered method that putting a 13a fused spur in place?

Your phrase "extend the ring main using a 30a junction box" made me jump to the conclusion that you were suggesting an unfused spur. Apologies for the misunderstanding.

Reply to Fused spur off a ring main cable size question in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net