Discuss gas pipe sparking!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Seen this sort of thing a couple of times on the DNO I worked for , the thing is there are so many new supplies installed of a TNS network and its usually a TNCS supply fed to new properties or even conversions in some instances , and then a lost neutral in one of the cable joints and then the bonding becomes live and transmits it through another place through the pipework external to the property , Ive seen it where the bonding wire had actually melted....

Thanks Tony, just for people's intrest, it's a 1920's mid terrace house with underground mains, the Earth strap to the sheath is a nice new braded type. And as for pulling the main service fuse, I was at a loss, so why not pull it? I may have missed something really stupid. But really this is one of the reasons I stoped posting here..

You post an interesting fault about a fire and sparking earth, and all someone's intreste in is that I pulled the service fuse... Really helpful in the question I was asking NOT!!!

I am not criticising the act of pulling the service fuse, I have no issue with cutting seals and doing the same.

I am interested to know what logical thought process brought you to the conclusion that doing so was going to assist in this situation.
I cannot currently see the logic behind this and would like to learn from you what this is. It may be that there is something I do not yet understand which may help me in the future.

Is this not one of the reasons forums like this exist?

Edd, all you can do now as if I suspect the fault is external to the house is contact the DNO. Which I believe you have done.

If you can, be there when they attend.
The fault on my own house was a bloody good learning exercise for me as I was about a year out of my time. I’d almost no experience of domestic wiring systems. (40 years later I still haven’t got a great deal of experience for that matter.)

As for pulling the service fuse, I can’t see what the hell that has to do with this fault. The NWEB senior engineer that attended the above fault, his only comment was “you don’t believe in seals do you!” He became a good friend and helped me out with some of my projects later on.

Something to bear in mind, this fault won’t just be confined to the house in question.

I am not criticising the act of pulling the service fuse, I have no issue with cutting seals and doing the same.

I am interested to know what logical thought process brought you to the conclusion that doing so was going to assist in this situation.
I cannot currently see the logic behind this and would like to learn from you what this is. It may be that there is something I do not yet understand which may help me in the future.

Is this not one of the reasons forums like this exist?

My logical conclusion was I had tried everything else and the fault remained. I understand the problems with PME Systems and loose neutrals but had never seen it with a TNS System. When out of ideas try anything..... Oh and I'm techniquely allowed to pull the fuse as I used to sub to the EEB and have a nice little certificate...

There are many original TN-S supplies that are now serving both TN-S and TNC-S. Parts of the original cables lead sheathing having corroded away over time, or due to cable passing through aggressive sections of soil etc....

So it is more than feasible that one or more of this row of old terraced houses having a TNC-S supply, where a fault is being passed on to the gas/water supply services via main bonding cables. Something for the DNO to sort out, if you have proved to yourself that there is no fault originating from the property you are working in!!

Reply to gas pipe sparking!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net