Discuss Getting IKEA Light Flush With the Ceiling in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,
First post, first time doing anything electrical.

Have bought a nice new IKEA Sinnerlig light for my nice new house I moved into last week. Have removed old ceiling light which was a cheap plastic one than screwed into a cheap plastic base plate that was screwed into the ceiling.

Anyway, I can't work out how to get the new light to sit nicely against the ceiling. The IKEA light doesn't have a base plate or anything threaded to screw up against the ceiling. I had to get a hook to attach the cable bit to the ceiling but everything just dangles limply now. I can loop up the excess cable and tie it together with electrical tape, but can't get everything snug. Am I missing something that should make this a lot easier?

This is the light dangling from my hand rather than from the ceiling, but I basically have the same issue when it's up.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_20160918_220648.jpg

Fitted a couple of these the other week. Absolutely horrible fittings. A "cheap plastic" pendant is far superior to these Ikea fittings. Anyway, method is as follows:

1) Cut the flex on the fitting to the length you want it to hang at including moving the plastic mounting bracket to the right place on the flex.
2) Attach the metal ceiling bracket, connect your cables and hook the plastic flex bracket over the metal hook on the ceiling.
3) Push the cover over up the cable (it should have a little resistance which is the design used to keep it in place flush* with the ceiling) until it sits flush*

*No matter how hard I tried, the cover would not sit flush with the ceiling. It would be flush on one side but 1 or 2mm on the other side. Horrible, horrible fittings, give me a "cheap plastic" pendant any day.

Also the connectors provided by Ikea are terrible - I bypassed them and connected up with Wagos instead.

After having to fit these a few times now I know that you need quite a small hook to prevent it hanging too far from the ceiling. Small hooks have short screw shanks so are not suitable. I have had to adapt hooks with pliers before.

You could just hang the flex from the existing (assumed) pendant base using the flex retainers. Shortening the flex would help too so it's not all bundled up in the cup.

If in doubt of any of this get a local electrician in to help you do it safely.

Fitted a couple of these the other week. Absolutely horrible fittings. A "cheap plastic" pendant is far superior to these Ikea fittings. Anyway, method is as follows:

1) Cut the flex on the fitting to the length you want it to hang at including moving the plastic mounting bracket to the right place on the flex.
2) Attach the metal ceiling bracket, connect your cables and hook the plastic flex bracket over the metal hook on the ceiling.
3) Push the cover over up the cable (it should have a little resistance which is the design used to keep it in place flush* with the ceiling) until it sits flush*

*No matter how hard I tried, the cover would not sit flush with the ceiling. It would be flush on one side but 1 or 2mm on the other side. Horrible, horrible fittings, give me a "cheap plastic" pendant any day.

Also the connectors provided by Ikea are terrible - I bypassed them and connected up with Wagos instead.

Thanks. Re 2), there was no metal ceiling bracket included from IKEA. Shall I just buy a generic ceiling rose hook?

basically. ikea fittings are crap. even their mdf wardrobes are fit only for making a DIY coffin.it's only going to burn anyway.

Well that went better than expected. Still a couple of mm off but will take that for now. Got to paint the room soon anyway, may tidy up after that.
Might want to get some extra lighting in when you are painting the room though?

Reply to Getting IKEA Light Flush With the Ceiling in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net