Discuss Global IR testing on RCBO populated CU in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ah, I think we have some misunderstanding here!

You seem to be talking about having a DP MCB as the main CU supply switch, where as I was thinking of the DSO/DNO supply fuse being replaced by a MCB which troubled me a bit.

This makes a bit more sense, as the DSO fuse would provide the ultimate back-up for a major fault and the MCB is then a combined switch and current limit that comes in below the fuse and saves the DSO trouble if someone overloads the CU total capacity.

We have always had DP incoming switches for the CU and as you say it is so sensible that you can isolate the lot to do a global IR test without having to remove cables and risk further faults being introduced.

...on TNC-S systems without having to first disconnect the main Neutralising earth from the bus-bar.
That is something we don't have in the UK but I suspect the ROI system is more like the USA where the E & N are linked in the "installation" side and not in the "supply side"?

They also have a requirement for local earth rods as well as the supply's combined N & E cable.

In UK only the DSO/DNO links E & N and for the TN-C-S case that is at the cut-out (main supply fuse) that provides the power feed to the billing meter and from there to the installation.

Is this on the supply side or is Ireland moving away from fused plugs on domestic appliances?
No. There are no moves afoot to move away from fused plug tops here. Ironically this is where you find the UK influence in ROI. There are very, very few countries in the world with fused plug tops. They are a direct consequence of the 32 amp ring final circuit. In practice we in the ROI could easily eliminate the fused plug top arrangement but the hassle just is, nt worth it. And while I am not a big fan of ring circuits I recoqnize they have their uses

Ah yes, the "project" to get rid of fused plugs. I forget how many decades it is now that I've been reading about how the whole of the EU (or perhaps Europe as the geographic area) is going to have one standardised plug - which will be unfused because it's only us silly buggers in the UK (and it seems Ireland) use them. And of course, much discussion on how to adapt UK wiring (split rings into two radials) without having to go "full rewire".
I guess that eventually fizzled out when it became clear that everyone was "in favour as long as you pick my system".
Mind you, how long did it take before round pin plugs became the "rare exception" after we invented the "13A" plug.

At one point the IEC "kettle" connector looked promising as used everywhere, but the biggest issue is the old chicken & egg issue: Why change?

There is a huge investment in every country in both infrastructure and appliances, so what is the benefit either economically or safety for such a change. Some countries, like Italy, still have two standards in use on a broadly north/south split as its just not worth changing stuff.

As you pointed out, the UK had round pin stuff in common use until the 70s or later, and even then when the 13A plugs were introduced it was just after WW2 and hardly any domestic electrical stuff in use by today's standards.

So no matter how much one argues for/against fused plugs, or the RFC/radial, it makes little difference in the real world as folk will keep with what is in use and works. We have fused plugs, hence the 32A RFC is a good idea. Other places don't, so 16A (or so) radials are a good idea.

This wasn't a fused vs unfused issue - it was a "lets have just ONE standard across the whole of Europe". Do you know how many standards there are across Europe ? You've mentioned Italy having two - I know they have two sizes (like we used to have 5A and 15A). Contrary to what many believe, France and Germany don't share plugs/sockets - their standards are different.
And for good measure, there's one combination of plug and socket (French* plug in German socket) which mate and appear to work fine - but doesn't connect the earth ?
* That's the French plug, not the common hybrid that has both the French and German earthing contacts.

Anyway, it must be over 4 decades ago I was reading about this great idea to create one standard across the whole of Europe - unfused because so many countries see our fused plugs as somehow "wrong", and incompatible with any existing system so as to avoid the "we're not adopting <some country>'s system" problem. I guess, for the reasons already given, the idea eventually fizzled out.

The Europlug fits most sockets across mainland Europe, which is a reasonable achievement.

As best I can remember there is also an issue with German Schuko plugs fitting in some sockets (other countries) that they shouldn't be used with.

This wasn't a fused vs unfused issue - it was a "lets have just ONE standard across the whole of Europe". Do you know how many standards there are across Europe ? You've mentioned Italy having two - I know they have two sizes (like we used to have 5A and 15A). Contrary to what many believe, France and Germany don't share plugs/sockets - their standards are different.
And for good measure, there's one combination of plug and socket (French* plug in German socket) which mate and appear to work fine - but doesn't connect the earth ?
* That's the French plug, not the common hybrid that has both the French and German earthing contacts.

Anyway, it must be over 4 decades ago I was reading about this great idea to create one standard across the whole of Europe - unfused because so many countries see our fused plugs as somehow "wrong", and incompatible with any existing system so as to avoid the "we're not adopting <some country>'s system" problem. I guess, for the reasons already given, the idea eventually fizzled out.
I don, t believe others see your plugs as "wrong", the europeans just see their plugs as better because they don't have the hassle of needing to change fuses. I agree with "them" on this point.
However as you correctly point out there are aspects to "their" plug tops which are inferior to the UK. They are often unearthed, flimsy and can be reversed plugged in meaning correct polarity can't be assured. I agree with "you" on these points.

UK plug inflicts more pain to feet than any other, ergo it is best.

Joking aside, I find the heft of BS1363 plugs quite reassuring. The next best in terms of robustness (that I've encountered) would probably be Schuko, but no domestic plug mates as solidly with a socket as our 3 pin beast.

Last edited:
UK plug inflicts more pain to feet than any other, ergo it is best.

Joking aside, I find the heft of BS1363 plugs quite reassuring. The next best in terms of robustness (that I've encountered) would probably be Schuko, but no domestic plug mates as solidly with a socket as our 3 pin beast.
Amen to that. That's why I describe the europlugs as "flimsy". Whereas the traditional 13amp 3 pin has very much a feel of "I won't let you down" about it.

Whereas the traditional 13amp 3 pin has very much a feel of "I won't let you down" about it.
When you stand on one it won't let you down to the floor, that is for sure!

I never seemed to suffer that, but as a child my sister had an uncanny knack of finding each and every plug that was ever left prongs-up. Perhaps she save me by her self-sacrifice! :)

Reply to Global IR testing on RCBO populated CU in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net