Discuss Grey haired sawdust maker needs hand holding on electric matters in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

quintain

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi

I have today joined this active forum to get answers for electrical matters related to a 1947 Dominion 12" Super Elliot Woodworker.

Prior to my ownership the machine was converted from its original 3ph single motor with multi belt configuration to 3 x 1ph separate motors.

I am enjoying updating the machine but would welcome advice on cable sizing for (to) each separate motor.

The machine has 3 major functions being , planer/thicknesser, rip saw, cross cut saw, each converted to operate on a single 1ph motor with the following spec'.
GEC Stayrite,
1ph
2.2kw,
12.8A,
1430rpm.

All functions work good at this moment but this is my time to check and confirm correct cable supply size.

I am going to ask in the DIY forum what cable supply size should be recommended to each motor.

Regards
Richard

for a load of 12.8A you would require 1.5mm cable, assuming the cable run is in free air and the cable run is fairly short. volt drop could be an issue on a long run.

As Tel says a 1.5mm sq cable will be adequate to accommodate the running current. I'd suggest especially with a single phase motor you should consider using a 2.5mm cable which will help reduce the voltdrop across the cable on start up. The problem with single phase motors is their inherently high and drawn-out starting currents, especially if they're starting under any mechanical load. The cost difference between the 1.5mm and 2.5mm cables should be negligible if they are a few meters long.

Thank you both for your help.
I think the cable being used is 2mm; it seems to be so when I measure it.
It is a protected impact resistance cable.
There is no marking on the cable showing any specs.
Maximum single run in clear air length is 5ft (1.5m??)
I attach a picture of the cable showing the copper connectors.

I should have said I will only be using one motor at any one time.
I have felt the cable when a motor has been (is) in use and there is no heat to be felt.

Does it look of a correct size to you ??
Dominion saw and planer motor cable.jpg

looks more than adequate. when we quote cable size, that size is the x sextional area, not the diameter. so you need the radius x pi x r sq. to get the csa.

Thanks Telectrix
I understood the "looks more than adequate part".

Again thank you for your help.

Reply to Grey haired sawdust maker needs hand holding on electric matters in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net