Discuss gutting house in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

outkastchris

Im currently gutting my first house as everything is pretty much the same as it was when it was built 1958 so i've a few questions Im currently working round the house so and will be hoping to get the electrics sorted in the next 2 / 3 months but Im getting thing ready as I go I'E conduit so I've got a good few questions

The house has the old old black rubber insulated cables chatting to the neighbour today he said that it was illigal to sell a house that has the existing rubber wiring and it should have been rewired before the sale TRUE OR FALSE?
The homebuyers report say the electrical installation is date and should be inspected asap after pruchase to assess the upgrade works required should this be more in depth?

Im going to have the CU moved once I'm ready, at the moment the meter is on the external wall of the kitchen and the CU is at the same point of the inside wall 300mm from the corner but it stops putting in a decent size fridge so I want to move it to the adjacent wall higher up the wall similar distance from the corner 300 / 400mm I wish to have my flow and return for downstairs heating circuit in the very corner
QUESTIONS
2.1 How far should the CU be away from water pipes?

2.2 What about the Supply cable from the meter to the CU as it will be crossing the path of the water pipes?

2.3 With the possible issues would it be better advised to put the pipes in a duct or box the pipes in?

2.4 I'm guessing the supply cable from the meter to the CU should be in conduit as it will be running horizontal to the CU will PVC do or would it have to be metal

As it goes goes there is only 1 or 2 sockets to a room atm so as Im moving walls and such I wish to get the conduit sorted so the sparky can come in later, once all sorted and decide where everthing goes, pull some cables, cut some wire, make a few connections, bish bash bosh rabbit out of a hat sorted
Lighting upstairs / downstairs circuit 20mm round 16mm oval conduit ok?
Ring circuits conduit sizes
upstaris
1 for 2 bedrooms approx 9 doubles
1 for computer / study room which is 3rd bed approx 6 doubles
downstairs
1 kitchen
1 lounge + dining room + hall approx 13 doubles
1 for fused spur for boiler up in loft
1 for fused spur for immersion in loft 25mm ok due to cable size
1 for possible electric shower future option if even needed ##size???
What would be recommended 20 / 25mm for most of these circuits

socket / light switch heights i've see on a post that you can get away with installing the fixture to the new height reqirments in refurbs
What would be classed as a refurb under the electrical regs?and is there a part of the completion certification that says its been a refurb?
I understand the reason behind the rules but I dont like the idea of having sockets half way up the walls

conduit for other applications I know electrical and low voltage/ data cables have to be in seperate conduit
Im looking a putting in conduit for an
alarm system
data / networking cables CAT 5 or CAT6
tv / satellite
and speaker setup in the lounge

4.1 conduit colours I've only seen black and white on the net, are there and domestic sized available to make in easier to identifiy what conduit is what or im thinking of wrapping some electrical tape to do this but would it be against the electrical regs have say green/yellow tape on conduit or say brown which may confuse it for an earthing or live conduit?

4.2 is it the same requirement for the cable applications as to the routes they take in walls or can the speakers circut run horizontally

5 BONUS QUESTIONS
CAT 5 / 6 data cables all run from data point to loft more to future proof
5.1 distances from electrical cables in and out of conduit to minimize interferance?
5.2 say you have a data point behind tv a wish for 4 terminals would it require 4 data cables to supply it?

Sorry for all the questions the electrical part of the planning has got to be my biggest headache
ans thank you if you can answer all or 1 of my questions any contribution much thanks

In short if you have rubber cables your house will need rewiring...Rubber cables reached the end of their life expectancy decades ago.....It is not illegal to sell or own a house with rubber cables....DO NOT install any cables or conduits yourself and then expect a sparks to pick up where you have left off,it just wont work,they will be in the wrong place or the wrong size.As far as the mains voltage installation goes get an approved contractor to carry out the entire installation,they will also advise on and carry out moving the (new) CU.

A lot of your questions could be answered,but in all honesty if you are renovating room by room the planning and maintaining of supply whilst installation of the new is being carried out is a pain for an experienced electrican sometimes
You may be better biting the bullet, and engaging the electrician now to assist with the planning and to install as and when

It seems you are wishing to complete rooms whilst making wiring routes available for a later date
To work this way you are advised to get the spark around beforhand
He should have a better overall idea of work you can carry out that will assist or perhaps hinder the eventual installation

Im gutting the whole house at once not going through with trying to live in and work in a house at the same time lark again once is enough when I was young

upstairs ripped out 80% of solid internal walls due to structural issues and moved and replaced with platerboard stud
downstairs ripping out suspened wooden floors to fit wet underfloor heating

whole house pretty much needs plastering including the ceiling

I wanted to get the backbone installed plumbing and electrical conduit in the walls and under the screed and back boxes fitted
get the plastering done choose my lights and positions
get sparky in and to pull the wires, connect up to and move the CU and test all in one go now a bit here and a bit there my dads had probems with doing it that way in the past with sparkys starting a job and not finnishing and a big hassle and alot more money to get somebody else in to complete someone elses started install
I know how to wire CH systems and basic electrics as part of my job but thats as far as I go with electrics, its the maths side and calculations that frighten me looking in electrical books in the past

contacted a few sparkys now
1 from working in a customers house where he was working overheard him say to the customer he is very quiet with small jobs here and there got him round to price the job which he did quote ÂŁ7500 for everything chasing walls fitting and labour testing about 2 weeks work, I asked what sort of time scale he could do he said he was very busy but he had a job cancelled the next week he could start then
didn't quite trust him or the advise and the price seemed very top heavy
2 a friend of a friend but he couldn't start for till late september early october sometime as he's getting married and on big contracts
3 contacted but never showed

I haven't read all the details (I am having a drink) but most sparks (and all tradesmen) want to finish and get paid.

You may need to explain that it is going to require a first fix and then a few visits (maybe months after) to second fix and come to a financial agreement that you are both happy with, but I wouldn't of thought that it would be much more then if you were having it done in one hit.

Reply to gutting house in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net