Discuss Halogen Lights non fire rated??? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

piz

Good Evening all
Just a Question regarding Halogen 50W spot lights in a 3storey property do they all need to be fire rated? I Know they do in a loft
Also on a refurbishment do we comply with part L? I amsure 25% have to be L compliant but maybe only on new builds I have had a brieflook at approved document L but can’t find much any help would be great
Cheers

i'll answer your question with another. why would you fit fire rated spotlights? what is their purpose?

well i cant believe you are doing a job like this and dont know where to use fire rated fittings and then state the one place you dont have to have them and to add your a pub memeber.

well at least your asking i suppose then just doing it without checking, you need to use fire rated fitting when there is a living space above

fire rated downlights are fitted to reinstate the fire barrier between 2 fire compartments that yoiu have damaged by drilling a hole in the ceiling. a house of single occupancy is generally classed as 1 fire compartment, so there is no requirement for fire rated fittings. however, for little extra cost, fire rated fittings are of superior build quality and it's not a bad idea to fit them anyway. in either case, insulation needs to be dragged away from the fitting to allow for heat dispersal.

regarding Halogen 50W spot (down) lights in a 3storey property do they all need to be fire rated? I Know they do in a loft

Do you mean "fire rated" to stop the spread of fire from one floor to another for a certain length of time?
Or do you mean installed without insulation etc in close proximity e.g. by use of metal insulation guards - so as no danger of catching fire?

Two quite different things, and often confused.

UPDATE: Tel beat me to it, re fire rated.

Yes but it is good practice to install them in the loft surely
customers chuck Christmas decorations in the loft then the plastic bag catches fire along with the felt customer could be unaware!
think it is good practice to install them everywhere
sorry if this sounds rude but going from kitchens only to more advanced work I normally only install halers fire rated and ip 65

Reply to Halogen Lights non fire rated??? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net