Discuss Hello, I am very interested in becoming an electrician, 22 years old, TradeSkills4U 2365 L2 and L3. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello there. I am 22 and would like to become an electrician. While searching online, I found the TradeSkills4U L2&L3 2365 qualification, worth £7490. I know it will NOT make me a qualified electrician, but I am of the understanding that I need that qualification to get me through the door. Can someone experienced give me a guideway of what qualifications I need, the pathway to become an electrician, and whether getting the TradeSkills4U qualification is a good idea. Also, the pathway to becoming an electrician through the TradeSkills4U way also. Thank you.
[automerge]1599561491[/automerge]
OP again. What is the apprenticeship I would need to look for, if I did go the electrician route?

Last edited:
IMO save your money, phone all the local electricians in your area and ask if they are looking for an apprentice or electricians mate, if they say no, persevere and offer to work for free, the money you have saved will pay your on job insurance unless the electrician you go to work for has a blanket insurance, then it pays you for at least a years work, once you have some experience look at going to collage to get a C&G, or if you think you have learnt enough try to get an NVQ off one of the providers.

To become qualified you need:

C&G 2365 2 and 3.
C&G 2382-18 18th Edition Wiring Regs.
C&G 2391 Testing and Inspection.
NVQ Level 3.
AM2.

Anything less and you're not 'fully qualified'. The problem is if you cannot get an apprenticeship then you have nothing real to offer except for manual work so personally i would do it the following way:

Do the course, get the qualifications. The course is 17 weeks, two weeks on, two off. Try to get work experience in your two weeks off. Then after getting the certs, you will only be missing the AM2 and NVQ3 which are work-based (NVQ is a portfolio and AM2 is a practical test.) At this point you should apply for work as an electrician's mate, and you will be able to take on basic work like some non-notifiable work. Once working as a mate, complete the NVQ and the AM2 and then you can get your Gold Card, becoming completely qualified. Even once qualified i would advise working alongside another professional as an 'improver' mate, or even working on site in a team, in order to gain valuable experience before heading out on your own if that's what you want to do.

To me, the on-site experience is invaluable since we miss out on a lot of nuance by not working alongside a professional. I understand this route can be the only way in for an adult learner but it's important to not feel like we're seasoned pro's once we have the certificates - you will get exactly the same theoretical training and have to do exactly the same things as an apprenticeship in college, it's just condensed, but the apprentice will be working 4 days a week for 3 years alongside the college which is much more experience which imo can't be replicated.

No offence to the more seasoned vets on here but you really don't understand how hard it can be to get your foot in the door. It can be almost impossible.

Personally OP, you're still a young pup and these courses run all year so i'd have a good old go at getting someone to take you on first as it's the much better option. Be different though. Be personal. Don't just send texts or emails - ring people up, ask if you can go on site for a chat, etc.

A few things to look at before you sign up for anything.

Do you need to go with TS4U or any other condensed learning provider? Firstly, it might be worth finding a college that provides an evening class option for the same qualifications.

Even if you can't get work in the electrical industry to start off, you can still work in any other field during the day while you are continuing to learn. If you sign up for the TS4U model where you will learn 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off you may find it very difficult to find someone to give you work (even unpaid) on this basis.

The evening class of course will take longer but there is no guarantee of getting a foot in the door in the electrical industry even after you have completed a condensed course, no matter what they try to sell. From my own experience and from guys I have met, we have even been turned away for unpaid work experience because we are learning though these condensed courses. There are a LOT of electricians who hate these type of courses and think everyone MUST do a traditional apprenticeship, yet these same sparks say they're not taking on apprentices when you ask them. So for a lot of people, these courses are an only option.

Funding your course ...... regardless of which training provider you chose, I would strongly advise against paying out for the full course in one go. You might absolutely hate the company you have chosen. I changed my training provider because the first one I chose was terrible and I know a few people who have also changed training providers part way through their course.

I would suggest you pay up to your Level 2 diploma. This will give you plenty of learning experience with your chosen provider. If they don't perform as good as you think they should then you can find an alternative training provider to do your level 3 diploma, testing & inspection etc.

Might also be a good idea to look at the government website regarding loans for adult training. If you qualify, it will save you forking out your own cash for the training course and you only have to pay the gov back when you earn over a certain amount.

Do not fall for any of the sales pitch from any of these companies. As another poster has stated, unless you are incredibly lucky, it is almost impossible to get a foot in the door in this industry.

You could always move to France ;) I'm on their equivalent but they put you on 14 weeks of industry training alongside it and you end up fully qualified to their basic electrician level in 7 months of full time work/college. My region is paying for it for me so it costs me nothing. I had to have a greulling 2 hour exam and 45 minute interview where they grilled me to get on the course though.

All you have to do is learn French, move before Brexit and Bob's your uncle! :p

Thank you everybody for your replies. Based on reading everything, it appears as though the best option IS to get an apprenticeship if possible, so that is what I will try to do. However, if not possible, I will look to do a condensed 2365 Level 2 and 3, get work experience in the field while doing the course, and aim to get in the industry that way. Thank you again, great help.
[automerge]1599572767[/automerge]
You could always move to France ;) I'm on their equivalent but they put you on 14 weeks of industry training alongside it and you end up fully qualified to their basic electrician level in 7 months of full time work/college. My region is paying for it for me so it costs me nothing. I had to have a greulling 2 hour exam and 45 minute interview where they grilled me to get on the course though.

All you have to do is learn French, move before Brexit and Bob's your uncle! :p

Haha, unfortunately I don't know if that will be possible for me before January, good shout though.
[automerge]1599572865[/automerge]
To become qualified you need:

C&G 2365 2 and 3.
C&G 2382-18 18th Edition Wiring Regs.
C&G 2391 Testing and Inspection.
NVQ Level 3.
AM2.

Anything less and you're not 'fully qualified'. The problem is if you cannot get an apprenticeship then you have nothing real to offer except for manual work so personally i would do it the following way:

Do the course, get the qualifications. The course is 17 weeks, two weeks on, two off. Try to get work experience in your two weeks off. Then after getting the certs, you will only be missing the AM2 and NVQ3 which are work-based (NVQ is a portfolio and AM2 is a practical test.) At this point you should apply for work as an electrician's mate, and you will be able to take on basic work like some non-notifiable work. Once working as a mate, complete the NVQ and the AM2 and then you can get your Gold Card, becoming completely qualified. Even once qualified i would advise working alongside another professional as an 'improver' mate, or even working on site in a team, in order to gain valuable experience before heading out on your own if that's what you want to do.

To me, the on-site experience is invaluable since we miss out on a lot of nuance by not working alongside a professional. I understand this route can be the only way in for an adult learner but it's important to not feel like we're seasoned pro's once we have the certificates - you will get exactly the same theoretical training and have to do exactly the same things as an apprenticeship in college, it's just condensed, but the apprentice will be working 4 days a week for 3 years alongside the college which is much more experience which imo can't be replicated.

No offence to the more seasoned vets on here but you really don't understand how hard it can be to get your foot in the door. It can be almost impossible.

Personally OP, you're still a young pup and these courses run all year so i'd have a good old go at getting someone to take you on first as it's the much better option. Be different though. Be personal. Don't just send texts or emails - ring people up, ask if you can go on site for a chat, etc.

Thank you. Do you have any places I could research and try to contact?

Thank you. Do you have any places I could research and try to contact?
My first port of call would be local colleges since it will be free or dirt cheap.

Second port of call would be Tradeskills4u or someone like that.

As for companies to context i'm not really aware of any, sorry.

Also check your messages on here, i sent you a message :)

And the nice thing about France for Domestic work is that once the Electrical Provider has connected the meter, there is almost no legislation to contend with, no informing anyone of works to be carried out, no EICR's to prepare and you don't have to be qualified to carry out work on a domestic property, obviously there are standards, but there is no one who checks on these.

The only check that ever will be made is on the sale of the property and even that is only visual.

And the nice thing about France for Domestic work is that once the Electrical Provider has connected the meter, there is almost no legislation to contend with, no informing anyone of works to be carried out, no EICR's to prepare and you don't have to be qualified to carry out work on a domestic property, obviously there are standards, but there is no one who checks on these.

The only check that ever will be made is on the sale of the property and even that is only visual.
Yes, to be honest i looked at doing a course in the UK and got the C&G 2 book. The book is around 600 pages and literally almost a third of it is health and safety and act of parliament stuff.

It's also nice to not have to be required to sign up to a scam scheme to be able to do your own work without hindrance even though you're qualified. That rule in the UK has always seemed mental to me.

The other nice thing is the French do something like a 12 hour week so plenty of work to be had for someone with a rocket up them.

My plan is similar to what i'm suggesting for the OP though - i'm going to do 7 months full time college, 14 weeks on site with a firm, 3 weeks internship and then work with a company as an electrical 'improver' while i polish up my skills ready for going it alone.

Last edited:
I should think you would get enough work from the ex-pat community to keep you going without joining a company, the basics in France are the same if not lower down the scale where testing is concerned, but way ahead in many respects, the major difference is rural three phase domestic, but not difficult, see my avatar.

I should think you would get enough work from the ex-pat community to keep you going without joining a company, the basics in France are the same if not lower down the scale where testing is concerned, but way ahead in many respects, the major difference is rural three phase domestic, but not difficult, see my avatar.
Yeah there are plenty of expats around, lots needing work doing since they are moving into big abandoned properties to escape Brexit. I wouldn't need to rely on them though since i speak French so either way would be good for me.

I take it you have great experience working here?

Lots of people tell me French electrics is much easier but i guess i'll find that out!

TS4U are expensive, if your going down the route of paying for it yourself get in touch with colleges and training centres directly for quotes, some of them might be able to get hold of grants and get you on the apprenticeship route.

I have done lots of work in France, but mostly for neighbours and friends, as I am fully retired now days, and French Electricians seem to suck through their teeth a lot, shake their heads, shrug and walk away if it's just a little bit difficult, I have never seen a French electrician with an MFT or a wander lead.

The Avatar to my signature is too this board at the time of the picture the Parafoudre had not been installed:
DSC00488.jpeg

Last edited:
it's difficult to get on a apprenticeship unless you have contacts you could try companies like lorne stewart or dodd's see if they have any apprenticeships available if you have the time to go throgh University that is what my son is doing i have been through the 2365 route i had no other option it's very expensive
if you do it that way get onsite as electricians mate asap first thing you will need toget is ecs labourers card.

Tradeskills4U might not always be the cheapest but they've been around a long time and know what they're doing. There have been training centres that have accepted money, then gone bump.

I'd always pay on credit card where you can for that reason.

But when doing your research make sure a massive part of it is speaking to other trainees of the said training centres. And we have loads of good feedback about TS4U and you can message the members to ask for more info etc.

Also, they support the forum. Not that it should be a main factor in your choice, it's not as cheap as a pair of snips where a few pence difference doesn't matter too much. But if you can't get a local college (near on impossible right now I hear) to accept you for cheap / free, and if two training centres end up the same price as TS4U, then consider that in the factors a bit for us. :)

It's really hard at the moment to get anything going. So hats off to you and good luck on your journey. Keep in touch with the forum the lads on here are spot on and know their stuff.

My myself, I'm not a sparky. So I can't really comment on the actual courses and requirements to meet regs and that kinda stuff.

Reply to Hello, I am very interested in becoming an electrician, 22 years old, TradeSkills4U 2365 L2 and L3. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net