Discuss Help me qualify..am I on the right course? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

jme

-
Reaction score
A few years ago I tried to become a sparky. Went to college and did a PE02 course, I couldn't do level 3 as you need to already be employed to do it so I was stuck. In sept I enrolled on a level 2 nvq course and next year I apparently don't have to be employed to do level 3 but I do need to do my on site assessment after I complete level 3, how do I go about this, is it possible?

When I did my level two, I tried so hard to get an apprentice to do my level 3 course and nobody would take me on. I had a few weeks work rewiring houses but that was it. I just wondered is the course I'm on a waste of time? Will it lead nowhere because it's not a course where you are employed in the industry? Because I'm in debt and wasted a year on the pe02 course a few years ago and I'm getting more into debt. If it's a waste I would rather get any old job to support my family but if it's possible to qualify and not going to be near impossible, I'd like to stick at it to get a decent wage for the rest of my life...

Here are the courses I think....except the level 2 that I'm currently on is two days a week not one.

Any help or advice is so appreciated, thank you

http://www.grimsby.ac.uk/mobile/adult/courseInfo.php?id=435

Just looked at the link you posted....

I haven't a clue what course this is, or what qualification is actually gained on successful completion?? The website is also in dire need of updating, (which for a higher education college doesn't instill much confidence) they are quoting C&G 2360, since then you have had 2330 come and now gone, ....it's presently 2365 or 2357

It says that this course replaces c&g 2360 so maybe it is a newer version?

Anyway what of the on site assessment part? It's confusing, I don't want to have completed level 3 and be stuck again, wasting in total 3 years of my life trying to get into electrics...cheers

The second sentance of the the first paragraph below from the website should give you the answer

Note this course alone does NOT qualify you to be an electrician

I know that because after the course I have to do my on site assessment, then 17/18th edition, part p, jib etc. Cheers

It says that this course replaces c&g 2360 so maybe it is a newer version?

Anyway what of the on site assessment part? It's confusing, I don't want to have completed level 3 and be stuck again, wasting in total 3 years of my life trying to get into electrics...cheers
? do you mean electronics?

No not electronics. Electrical installation, cheers

I think my course is done by EAL and maybe not city and guilds...These are the two books we work from and are working to...

Last edited:

I think my course is done by EAL and maybe not city and guilds...These are the two books we work from and are working to...

We were given those books too, but im doing my apprenticeship over 4 years in Belfast...

We rarley refer to these books, though, and as said in post #6 by Ian, the website says that it does notqualify you to become an electrician... and it looks to cost a right chunk of money too...

Last edited by a moderator:
We were given those books too, but im doing my apprenticeship over 4 years in Belfast...

We rarley refer to these books, though, and as said in post #6 by Ian, the website says that it does notqualify you to become an electrician... and it looks to cost a right chunk of money too...

The site says that the course alone doesn't qualify you maybe because of 17/18th edition courses too? I dunno. It's confusing as hell and I feel like giving up. Don't ant to waste my time on another pointless course if I won't see the end results

You need an NVQ3, the regs qual is just another part of the puzzle.

Have you spoke to the college? Actually picked up the phone and asked them what you need and what they can offer?

Think this maybe the way forward for you before you start splashing the cash. B

im doing the city and guilds 2357 mate with jtl and the same books.

it will tell you on your performance tracker sheet which courses you have done and are doing for it.

email your assesor at jtl and they will email you a copy if you havent got one

Been having a look etc and at the end I get a EAL national diploma in electrical installation. If that means much?
Yes, that is what you want. That is EAL's 2357 NVQ3. JIB will grade you as an Electrician with that qualification and then............. the skys the limit for you Sparky :)

Last edited:
Yes, that is what you want. That is EAL's 2397 NVQ3. JIB will grade you as an Electrician with that qualification and then............. the skys the limit for you Sparky :)

Perhaps you can explain the statement made on this college website site then, that states this qualification does not qualify you to become an electrician??

I can't see how an EAL qualification can be taken seriously, the examinations are ''Open Book''!! As such, they they can't quantify by means of examination, how much knowledge you have actually assimilated/retained, as you can just look it up in book(s) you have taken into the examination room!!

Perhaps you can explain the statement made on this college website site then, that states this qualification does not qualify you to become an electrician??

I can't see how an EAL qualification can be taken seriously, the examinations are ''Open Book''!! As such, they they can't quantify by means of examination, how much knowledge you have actually assimilated/retained, as you can just look it up in book(s) you have taken into the examination room!!

Because you still need to do on site assessment...says this qualification ALONE doesn't...cheers

I've just done an exam and it wasn't open book. I understand that some are? But not all...in fact only one exam is.

I've just taken a picture of my full qualification fact sheet and I'm uploading images now thanks

does that help? Cheers

Last edited:
Perhaps it's not an EAL course then, as more than a few members here have sat EAL course examinations and all have been open book!! .....And they include the 2394/5, supposedly the bee's knees of electrical cert's to hold.... I'm only going by what other members have stated mind, to be honest i'd never heard of EAL until relatively recently....

Anyhow, how do you expect to complete an electrical NVQ 3 without being employed in the industry, i'd say that would be practically impossible?

Reply to Help me qualify..am I on the right course? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net