Discuss Help! Need advice on commmercialextractor fan motor in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

Nigs_Cambridge

Hi, in desperation i am seeking advice on my extractor fan in my restuarant.
It's description as follows: The ventilation is encased within a steel ducting system that goes all the way up onto the roof. On the roof is a square box (it's approx 80cm wide) which encases the ventilation flute (like a chimney).
IT Does not work - possible motor needs replacing? OR could the Fan control switch (Newlec NL9025) be at fault.

I've been knocked soo many times on my other renovations on the resturant that i'm trying to savvy up by using the net for advice....(better late than never) so i need to know:
Is it the motor?
would the motor be located within the steel box located on the roof?
The switch?
how much i am looking at to get this problem fixed?
How much would a call out charge be for this kind of job?

would appreciate any advice

1 Can't diagose the fault without testing it
2 Could be the controller
3 motor cost depends on frame size ( A/C vent approx £ 150.00)
4 Call out to diagnose approx £50.00 ( but that is fault location only - not repair )
5 Fan normally on the roof

The box on the roof will most likely be a sound muffler. Most extract fans are mounted in the duct. Have a look for a terminal box mounted on the side of a short section of duct.
As to the fault as bugsy said it needs testing

Thank you bugsy, would you be interested in taking on this job????
It's holding me back from opening up the resturant.
i'm located in Cambridge, so if anyone is available , please get in touch!

Thanks Bugsby, i'm getting in a company that gives free estimates and once they let me know what needs doing and what they quote me, i shall run it past you for further advice and your availability.
Loving this forum for the speedy responses and the option of getting actual help.
will let you know asap.

Is this extract system for the kitchen cooking range if so you may have an emergency stop button or buttons as part of the control system which have been pressed and need resetting, if the cooking range uses gas then the extract system is quite often interlinked with the gas shut off solenoid so if the extract system fails then it shuts down the gas supply

This could be simple, or could be complex, however, I feel that the fixed price for diagnosis given by Bugsy without having the full details of what is required & where in relation to the selected contractor is well out of order.

This could be simple, or could be complex, however, I feel that the fixed price for diagnosis given by Bugsy without having the full details of what is required & where in relation to the selected contractor is well out of order.

I did'nt gve him a fixed price, call out for local sparks to locate fault £50.00 thats fair, and should take about 30mins ( if you know your what your doing) how complex can this fault be!

Please explain whats unfair

Sorry bugsy, I dont think it is fair to quote an end user a cost on a web forum for a job you have not seen.
Other businesses would not have the same overheads, my minimum charge is well over this and I am stacked out with work.
You don't know how the motor is controlled.
According to the N&E website an NL9025 is a 5 terminal IP65 JB max csa 2.5mm sq.
So there are already questions as to the accuracy of the info the OP has given.
He has however been totally honest in saying that he is not electrically minded.
I feel therefore that suggesting a price for a disagnosis such as this without the full information on the installation is unfair on any spark that the OP may call on.
Because he has been "told on the internet" that is should only be £50.
I am looking at a call out to a motor fault for a customer at the moment, and the call out charge will be probably approaching £500.
They will ask me to attend & they will pay the charge.
I think it is unfair to price jobs over the internet where this may then be used to control the costs of another business.
That is why I think your £50 is unfair.

Sorry bugsy, I dont think it is fair to quote an end user a cost on a web forum for a job you have not seen.
Other businesses would not have the same overheads, my minimum charge is well over this and I am stacked out with work.
You don't know how the motor is controlled.
According to the N&E website an NL9025 is a 5 terminal IP65 JB max csa 2.5mm sq.
So there are already questions as to the accuracy of the info the OP has given.
He has however been totally honest in saying that he is not electrically minded.
I feel therefore that suggesting a price for a disagnosis such as this without the full information on the installation is unfair on any spark that the OP may call on.
Because he has been "told on the internet" that is should only be £50.
I am looking at a call out to a motor fault for a customer at the moment, and the call out charge will be probably approaching £500.
They will ask me to attend & they will pay the charge.
I think it is unfair to price jobs over the internet where this may then be used to control the costs of another business.
That is why I think your £50 is unfair.

I think this is an argument for discussion in the Arms not an open area of the forum

FWIW £50 for 30mins or £100/hr seems reasonable to me to assess a fault and quote for a repair

Reply to Help! Need advice on commmercialextractor fan motor in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net