Discuss Help on testing , of mobile ent unit in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jules27

Just an enquiry Does a mobile dist board need a Periodic?

Hello there ,
Hope someone can help? I recently PAT tested A mobile exhibitions kit( contained loads 16a extension leads , air blowers for the big inflatable work lights etc) , in this kit they had two dist. boards which get connected to either a 2k genny or a 230 supply at varying locations . For the d.bs Is it satisfactory to test between S/outlets and earth bar For earth cont etc ,or does it require a periodic ?which i know i cant do as im not 2391 etc............ thanks
I know the installation should be tested after each use .....but i am a little unsure , as i have advised this is possibly the case , cheers.......anyone help??

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a regular gig with a mobile bar supplier, amongst other things he has two bar vans. I Test them every twelve months, and as the whole installation is transportable (and there are only four radial circuits in each) I do a full visual inspection and full test.

For the live tests, the units are connected to a single dedicated supply that is used each time, however I record that the live tests are conducted to confirm the measured results and that the RCD times are for reference only and that they are to indicate that function is working correctly.

This satisfies the H&S lot at the sites he operates on.

Similarly in the world of caravans and motorhomes periodic inspections are now being called for as part of the annual servicing regime. The certificate issued either when new or as part of a service contains the details of each circuit and the dead tests as would be carried out on a periodic.

Is this a transportable unit like a caravan, or more like just a bunch of stuff which can be put in, say, a marquee for example?
I take it you mean after assembly, rather than after use; I would at least test the earth electrode if using one, and ZS which you can do at the socket outlet.
Depending on the extent of the installation it may be a good idea to do R1+R2, IR etc, but from what you have described it would probably be covered under the PAT.

hello there,
Yes i meant tested and inspected after each assembley of the kit .There is actually no unit as such , more a bunch of stuff assembled each time they set up. they normally run about 5 blowers used to blow up these inflatable structures, some power for music and some lighting supplied through various different extension leads and the dist boards are both set up on wooden frames ....cheers for your help

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like this kit falls between PAT and fixed wiring, you'll need to decide which one it is nearest too and stick to it. You just need to provide a reasoning as to why you chose which one if something ever goes wrong. If they have many flexes and plugs then i'd go for PAT and if it end up looking and acting like a fixed wiring install once together maybe go for a PIR. You may have a job explaining why you fixed wiring tested it and yet it is portable................... (Big Brother quote) You decide:cool:

Reply to Help on testing , of mobile ent unit in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net