Discuss help with problem radial circuit pls ?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

fixit4u

Hi folks,

called out to my aunts house couple of days ago saying she has lost power to her sockets, , upon arrival found the db was a split board and the rcd had tripped the sockets out, i turned all the breakers off and the rcd now stayed on, i turned them back on one at a time until the radial circuit feeding the conservatory tripped the rcd again, i took the fronts of the sockets all seem to be ok, connections tight etc and all connected together,so i took all the sockets of the wiring and connected the first one , no trip, secong one same and also the last socket -3 in total, strange all seem ok now i thought, so i fastened the first one back to the wall-trips again, take off wall now ok ??? any help please, i put the socket on and moved the wires to the side this time and all ok, two days later tripping back again ????? :mad2:

Intermittent Fault.

Loose connection in certain socket causing arching? Damp getting in somewhere (ref: conservatory)? Knicked a wire slightly in the back of a box thats touching to earth when fastening them back?

IR Test & Fault Find.

Did you not take your test equipment with you then?? Why are you fluffing around when an IR tests would lead you to where the problem lies...

Yeah what killer Mark said.

Is that in reference to the cat spin lol?

It wasn't ures was it? :laugh:

Don't make me feel worse than i already do, im visioning children crying at a home somewhere and its not pretty. Cat's aren't notable though when uve squashed them, only dogs. Few.

Also check where the cable enters the conservatory for insulation wear. That is another favourite place for letting moisture in or cable movement tripping under load.

or if it's been wired in the cavity, it could be chafed behing socket/s. IR test it, then, if the readings are bad, split it down and IR test each section.

Hi folks,

called out to my aunts house couple of days ago saying she has lost power to her sockets, , upon arrival found the db was a split board and the rcd had tripped the sockets out, i turned all the breakers off and the rcd now stayed on, i turned them back on one at a time until the radial circuit feeding the conservatory tripped the rcd again, i took the fronts of the sockets all seem to be ok, connections tight etc and all connected together,so i took all the sockets of the wiring and connected the first one , no trip, secong one same and also the last socket -3 in total, strange all seem ok now i thought, so i fastened the first one back to the wall-trips again, take off wall now ok ??? any help please, i put the socket on and moved the wires to the side this time and all ok, two days later tripping back again ????? :mad2:

Could be as simple as the socket fixing screw has just nipped into the neutral.

Are you sure that it feeds nothing outside such as lighting or a pond perhaps...........I guess it was tripping off load.

Without testing tbh it is not forced to be in the conservatory, you could be looking for a needle in a haystack without your mft.

Could be as simple as the socket fixing screw has just nipped into the neutral.

That was my first thought as well! Either that or a razor nick in the insulation of a core that's exposed when bent back into the box. Don't even need to IR test to find those - just an ohmeter from the ends of the cable in the CU to the screws in the plates (in theory).

Reply to help with problem radial circuit pls ?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net