Discuss Hi i have a hortsmann immearsion heater. Ive set the timed boost from 4am to 7am but the light comes on at 2:15 ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A couple of options here.

Maybe that your 4 to 7 is out of sync with real time. A clock needs to be set on it to reference when 4am actually is.

Or your off peak times are not what you think. These are one via a mechanical time clock net to your meter, or a teleswitch; Radio controlled by your supplier

normally an off peak immersion runs all night during the cheaper tariff, and there’s a boost function for 1 or 2 hours as a top-up during the day.
whether this top up time is cheap rate or not depends on your tariff.

You may have 2 immersions, one for off peak, one for boost.

can we get more details or photos of each part of the system.... ie, consumer unit set up and meters..... hortsmann controller and whether there’s one or two immersions.

As above plus have you just moved into this property or only just started using the Horstmann or has it only just been fitted?
Has it ever worked / correctly?

A couple of options here.

Maybe that your 4 to 7 is out of sync with real time. A clock needs to be set on it to reference when 4am actually is.

Or your off peak times are not what you think. These are one via a mechanical time clock net to your meter, or a teleswitch; Radio controlled by your supplier

normally an off peak immersion runs all night during the cheaper tariff, and there’s a boost function for 1 or 2 hours as a top-up during the day.
whether this top up time is cheap rate or not depends on your tariff.

You may have 2 immersions, one for off peak, one for boost.

can we get more details or photos of each part of the system.... ie, consumer unit set up and meters..... hortsmann controller and whether there’s one or two immersions.
I can send them later , just wondering what the timed boost is ? Is that where the immersion heater charges or is that a added charge ? And how would i change the hours in which the immersion heater charges at night

There's few versions of Horstmann timers, but timed boost is normally used in the daytime.

As far as I know the Off Peak indicator should only show when the Off peak heater, usually the lower one if there's 2, is active.
It's not an indicator of the Off Peak time period which is usually Midnight to 7.00am plus or minus 1/2 hr, depending where you are in the Country, or later if it's still on the old Off peak 8 hr or 8 + 3 hr .

So 2:15 to 7 would suggest the time that the heater is set to come on within the Off peak period.

Moved in last week , last owners father was a electrician and set everything up for him. I just want to know how i access how long the boiler charges for , the off peak light comes on between 2:15 - 7:30. Theres only me and the mrs and i think we could drop the charge because we have a cold fill shower and only ise hot water for taps, any help would be great. Ive been advised that i change it through the times boost setting , but im unsure about that, dont want to add to the bills

Attachments

• 2626AD36-7FE2-44B2-A85C-79B617ECCC46.jpeg
    158.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 51E21165-2DF2-4ED7-BD00-E1AF2501B768.jpeg
    102.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 36B91207-F0AA-4BB8-B049-FCAD5FACA711.jpeg
    125 KB · Views: 12
  • B2878EB2-3AE7-4FD5-AD09-EADF3CFCCCFD.jpeg
    160.3 KB · Views: 12

There's few versions of Horstmann timers, but timed boost is normally used in the daytime.

As far as I know the Off Peak indicator should only show when the Off peak heater, usually the lower one if there's 2, is active.
It's not an indicator of the Off Peak time period which is usually Midnight to 7.00am plus or minus 1/2 hr, depending where you are in the Country, or later if it's still on the old Off peak 8 hr or 8 + 3 hr .

So 2:15 to 7 would suggest the time that the heater is set to come on within the Off peak period.
How do i go about changing the hours

If you really think half a tank is enough to last the whole day, then disconnect the lower immersion heater and set the Horstmann for a single immersion heater - the top one.

Reply to Hi i have a hortsmann immearsion heater. Ive set the timed boost from 4am to 7am but the light comes on at 2:15 ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net