Discuss High Bay Lighting in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mayfair

Hi Customer of mine has about 24 high bay metal halide light fittings 400w metal halide lamps........Dont seem to have much of a life 4-5 months and then they start flikering or after an hour go off them cool off and start again, Any ideas guys.
btw the lamps were Osram and GE so not crap ...........Bloody 45 euros each

are the lamps burning in correct orentation ie Horizontal,vertical there are some dont like being wrong way

had a load of low bays a few years ago had to get specific lamps from good ole UsofA ( took 9 weeks 6 to travel 3 at customs due to container carrying coke in powder not cans ) lol

Various operating conditions affect lamp life. One key factor is operating position. Position-oriented lamps (designed to operate in one specific position) are tested and rated based on that designated position. Operating these lamps in any other positions can dramatically shorten life, reduce lumen output and cause color shift. Lamps designated universal can be operated in any position. However, life expectancy and lumen output are sacrificed in certain positions. Published "rated life" for universal lamps is based on operation in the vertical position. "Rated life" for universal lamps operated horizontally is 75% of the published rating.

Metal halide lamps have an average life of 15,000-20,000+ hours, more than ten times that of incandescent so for worst case, at 12 hours per day, 7 days a week you'd expect around 3 years.

Frequent startup reduces life again but not to values that you describe.

are the lamps burning in correct orentation ie Horizontal,vertical there are some dont like being wrong way

had a load of low bays a few years ago had to get specific lamps from good ole UsofA ( took 9 weeks 6 to travel 3 at customs due to container carrying coke in powder not cans ) lol

Have had that too it was like a disco they went from a shade of light pink to white then back again.

The lamps are switched on 8am and off 6pm verical mounted on wires do you think movement could be a factor ? ie swaying even though i aint seen them swaying!

hi, How are you?
We have many different type lights from 30W to 200W,
if you are interested in it,
Then we will offer more details and best price to you,
looking forward to hear from you soon,
Best Regards,
Rose

i think the quality isn't very good, suggest him to replace LED high bay lights, Comparison between LED high bay and MH:1. LED has long lifespan as long as 35,000 hours, while, the lifespan of MH is only 10,000hours.
2. metal halide could be very bright at the beginning, 50% of initial lumens could happen after a few thousands of hours. While an good LED chip with a good heat sink could still have more than 70% of the initial lumens after 35,000-50,000 hours.
3. LED is more directional, while the light of MH is more spread and waste too much light. please see below picture:
viewfile
viewfile

4. There is no hazardous materials in LED, while, there is mercury, radon gas, argon gas in MH.

i think the quality isn't very good, suggest him to replace LED high bay lights, Comparison between LED high bay and MH:1. LED has long lifespan as long as 35,000 hours, while, the lifespan of MH is only 10,000hours.
2. metal halide could be very bright at the beginning, 50% of initial lumens could happen after a few thousands of hours. While an good LED chip with a good heat sink could still have more than 70% of the initial lumens after 35,000-50,000 hours.
3. LED is more directional, while the light of MH is more spread and waste too much light. please see below picture:
viewfile
viewfile

4. There is no hazardous materials in LED, while, there is mercury, radon gas, argon gas in MH.

Good points :)

Hi me much good Chinese supplier.....you buy from me....me make good led light...I love uk electrician....op beware...needs some careful planing

Hi me much good Chinese supplier.....you buy from me....me make good led light...I love uk electrician....op beware...needs some careful planing

Should have sorted it out in the last 3 years, mate.
Besides which, I'm always careful with those 3 phase planers....... rip your fingers off in a flash...

Metal halide lamps have an average life of 15,000-20,000+ hours, more than ten times that of incandescent so for worst case, at 12 hours per day, 7 days a week you'd expect around 3 years.

Frequent startup reduces life again but not to values that you describe.[/QUOTE]

who are you trying to kid , i have rarely seen a M-H lamp last more than a year , 6 or 7 months seems to be the norm , i have tried just about every make and 400w PHILIPS MASTER lamps seem to give out the best light and last the longest , as said above change them to 160w twin t5 fitting they give out a better light and he will save what he pays for them in a year.

wouldnt bother with led yet still not reliable enough

Reply to High Bay Lighting in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net