Discuss HMO upgrade. Grade A system, what is it? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

jedisparks

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi to all!

Ive been asked to quote for some work in an HMO (house of muiltple occupancy). They have been told by whoever, local authority that they need a Grade A LD2 fire alarm system.

Im ok with the LD2 bit. i have a copy of the ridiculously priced BS5839-6. I just dont understand what it says about a Grade A system.:confused: what is it?

Wondered if anyone could shed some light on it for me?

IMO a grade D, LD2 system would be fine.

Many thanks in advance

Last edited:
Fire alarm grades are from A to F
LD1 LD2 LD3 are categories of those grades

Grade A - Fire detection system incorporating control and indicating equipment to BS EN 54-2, and power supply to BS EN 54-4, installed to BS 5839: Pt.1 with some minor exceptions

LD2 - A system incorporating detectors in all circulation spaces that form part of the escape routes from the dwelling, and in all rooms or areas that present a high risk of fire

Maybe of interest to you

If you need advise alarm man is probably the forum member to contact

Last edited:
I fit to grade A LD1, using the Rafiki 2 wire system. Combined sounder detectors in all rooms and circulation areas. circulation areas set to smoke, and rooms set to smoke and rising heat, call points on all landings and escape routes. Control panel in an accessible and obvious place. its a doddle to fit, and dip switches allow you to set each detector as required and provide end of line signal as well if needed. Screwfix supply a basic kit, but i get mine from SD Fire Alarms in Torquay, they are on the net and are cheaper.

Cheers...........Howard

This might help you with the grading system.

The Grade System - is the system of engineering, not the level of protection.

Grade F - one or more battery powered smoke and heat alarms.

Grade E - a system of interlinked mains powered smoke and heat alarms with NO battery back up.

Grade D - a system of interlinked mains powered smoke and heat alarms with battery back up.

Grade C - a system consisting of smoke detectors and sounders (which may be smoke alarms) connected to a common power supply, comprising of mains power and a stand by supply with central control equipment.

Grade B - fire detection and alarm system comprising of fire detectors (other than smoke alarms), fire alarm sounders and control and indicating equipment to either BS EN 54-2 and power supply to BS EN 54-4, or to Annex C of BS 5839 pt6.

Grade A - fire detection incorporating control and indicating equipment to either BS EN 54-2 and power supply to BS EN 54-4 installsd to BS 5839 : Pt 1 with some minor execeptions.

Grade D is required for new, owner occupied buildings of up to three storeys, two storey rented properties, and existing owner occupied buildings of up to two storeys. Very large storeys may require a Grade B alarm system.

Levels Of Protection

LD1 - a system installed throughout the dwelling, incorporating detectors in all circulation spaces that form part of the escape routes from the dwelling and in all rooms and areas in which fires may start, other than toilets, bath and shower rooms.

LD2 - a system incorporating detectors in all circulation spaces that form part of the escape routes from the dwelling, and in all rooms or areas that present a high risk of fire.

LD3 - a system incorporating detectors in all circulation spaces that form part of the escape routes from the dwelling.

Thanks for all replies

i have a copy of bs5839 and 5839-6 so ive got the definitions of the grades and catagories.

i just didnt think the definition of a grade A was very clear and left me wondering what it means.

Also seems a bit OTT, is this usual for an HMO?
the rafiki 2 wire system sounds interesting.

thanks again, to all.

IMO the rafiki twin wire system is the way to go.

It is the local building control that are insisting on the grade A system as some jobsworth who basically is not upto to speed as gone over the top when issunig the licence to the landlord.

You can always try and contact the LABC and ask if you could use the Grade D system, but snowball chance in hell springs to mind when trying to change their mind. It might just have to be the case of doing it there way as it is their game and ball.

Thanks again

yeah a suspected a jobsworth housing officer. Ha!

Ok so im going to look at the rafiki system. Another option i was thinking of is a wireless system, however google searches have only given grade D wireless solutions.

Does anyone know of a Grade A wireless system.

Much Obliged!

Reply to HMO upgrade. Grade A system, what is it? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net