Discuss Home Car Charger 7Kw in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

mliv899

DIY
Reaction score
I am looking to order an electric car and noticed on the suppliers of charging pods websites they generally ask if its a complex or simple install. It would be 7KW charger ideally I would like installed. I'm just trying to work out if I would need lots of additional work doing or not so hoping someone can help before I take the plunge.

I have attached photo of the main fusebox in my property and the small RCCB box in garage.. The thick black cable from bottom right of main fuse box/panel runs through to garage RCCB panel. There are what look like two feeds of the garage RCCB panel to garage lighting + Central Heating and I assume some other sockets in house (as one grey cable feeds back into house).

Could anyone tell me what extra work would be required to a charging point attached to garage - I assume worst case is a new cable pulled though from main fusebox (which it would be nice to avoid as this would be underfloor across the house). I'm hoping they can do something with the existing supply to the garage.

Attachments

• IMG_1170.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1171.jpg
    429.1 KB · Views: 61
I doubt very much that your garage mains is any bigger than 2.5mm unless it was specified that a car charger would be added at a later date. The distance from the house to the garage will also have a bearing.Don't forget that your electric car would pull 7kw continuously so diversity won't come into it. I think ultimately you will have to have a new cable pulled in that can take that load.Obviously the EV installer will be able to advise.

It would depend on the size of the cable going into the garage consumer unit. Can you read what it says on the black outer sheath?
It says 600/1000 V on the cable. There is a smaller short grey cable also from the switch to the consumer unit. The garage was added fairly recently by previous owner so wouldn't be surprised if he specified something cable. Cheers

It says 600/1000 V on the cable. There is a smaller short grey cable also from the switch to the consumer unit. The garage was added fairly recently by previous owner so wouldn't be surprised if he specified something cable. Cheers
The shorter grey cable is not so relevant. If the black cable is at least 6mm² then it might be ok, but only a site survey will tell for sure.

I doubt very much that your garage mains is any bigger than 2.5mm unless it was specified that a car charger would be added at a later date. The distance from the house to the garage will also have a bearing.Don't forget that your electric car would pull 7kw continuously so diversity won't come into it. I think ultimately you will have to have a new cable pulled in that can take that load.Obviously the EV installer will be able to advise.
Yeh Thanks, I think I have details of the electrician that did consumer unit etc so will try and contact him during the week to advise

2 30ma RCBO / RCD in series not the greatest job in the world

Would be better with just DP isolation and mcbs at the garage end if the supply is front loaded with the RCBO

if the SWA feeding the garage is 6.0mm as it looks to be., it will take 10kW max. that would give you 7kW for the EV and 3kW for rest of garage load. just about cope as long as you don't exceed the limit. however, it would need to be on a separate MCB in the house from utility sockets. a 10.0mm SWA would be a better option to give you a bit of wriggle room on the load.

how is the SWA run under floor as is? possibly use as a drag to pull in cord /and 10.0mm without lifting floor???

just looking at the SWA it looks like 6mm but photos can be deceptive.

and what's that gas pipe doing within 150mm of the cut-out. gas monkey strikes again.

Reply to Home Car Charger 7Kw in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net