Discuss How can I ascertain if I am paying for someone else's electricity? Help! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Some pictures of the fuse boards fed by the two different meters might shed some light on what is going on.
What is the electricity consumption recorded by the meter in the utility room ( the new one that says installed in 2016) I would imagine that you might find that one is more in line with the bills you would be expecting to pay.

Surely when the house was built the dual supply would have been spotted? It is new build right? Who built it and when?
the main part of the house was rebuilt 2016, the dual supply is because there is a small annex attached to the house which was separate; but is now part of the house.
i had the new air source joined to the small annexe meter, which had hardly anything on it before, tiny bills. now that bill is £300, for january, which makes sense as it is powering all the heating and hot water and it has been cold.
but the other bill, which should JUST be powering my lights (90% LED), kettle, toaster, oven etc is £1900 for a month. this doesn't include any heating hot water etc.

the main part of the house was rebuilt 2016, the dual supply is because there is a small annex attached to the house which was separate; but is now part of the house.
i had the new air source joined to the small annexe meter, which had hardly anything on it before, tiny bills. now that bill is £300, for january, which makes sense as it is powering all the heating and hot water and it has been cold.
but the other bill, which should JUST be powering my lights (90% LED), kettle, toaster, oven etc is £1900 for a month. this doesn't include any heating hot water etc.
Ok so either someone is tapping off your home supply (which fyi shouldn't be three phase, there's absolutely no need for it in a domestic property) or your meter is naffed.

First step is to turn off all power-drawing appliances in the house that are wired to the offending meter and see if it still ticks over - do this when all adjoining property is occupied and in use. If it is someone is nicking the leccy and you're paying for it. If not, the meter could be buggered.

Either way you need a qualified electrician in (check they have Testing and Inspection qualification as they're much more likely to be able to find their way around the system) and after their diagnosis you need to alert your supplier. Either way, you're clearly not using £2k a month in electric with domestic norms like toaster, lights, kettle. You couldn't use that much if you left that all on constantly 100% of the time with that set up.

As an example, you know how if you leave the lid off a kettle it will boil contstantly and never finish? Well if you did that and left a 2600w kettle boiling for 30 straight days your bill would still be less than £300.

I would hope it's a damaged meter because then you have a chance of getting your money back. If it's a horticultural expert you've got little to no chance, they'll pay it off a quid a month.

Last edited:
Ok so either someone is tapping off your home supply (which fyi shouldn't be three phase, there's absolutely no need for it in a domestic property) or your meter is naffed.

First step is to turn off all power-drawing appliances in the house that are wired to the offending meter and see if it still ticks over - do this when all adjoining property is occupied and in use. If it is someone is nicking the leccy and you're paying for it. If not, the meter could be buggered.

Either way you need a qualified electrician in (check they have Testing and Inspection qualification as they're much more likely to be able to find their way around the system) and after their diagnosis you need to alert your supplier. Either way, you're clearly not using £2k a month in electric with domestic norms like toaster, lights, kettle. You couldn't use that much if you left that all on constantly 100% of the time with that set up.

As an example, you know how if you leave the lid off a kettle it will boil contstantly and never finish? Well if you did that and left a 2600w kettle boiling for 30 straight days your bill would still be less than £300.

I would hope it's a damaged meter because then you have a chance of getting your money back. If it's a horticultural expert you've got little to no chance, they'll pay it off a quid a month.
ok so i have turned off all the power in the house, the farm shop and the farm house remain lit up. so either its not them or they have tapped into my supply outside of my house.
I only turned off for a few mins and the numbers on the meter remained the same. i will turn it off for an hour tomorrw morning and see if the numbers remain the same then. i really appreciate this advice.
any idea how much does a 3* tumble dryer would cost per hour to run?

This is an amazingly high amount to be paying every month for past 5 years. Im surprised you haven’t investigated this sooner.
i've been paying it for 2 years, i investigated straightaway, and everything pointed to the fact that that all my heating and hot water was being powered by electricity, rather than gas/ oil. so i got a loan and had air source installed (this installation was finished nov 30th) last week i got my first bill, which i was expecting to be a third of previous bills and it was the same...

also i think (but not 100%) that we have 3 phase as originally the house was part of a farm (it was a barn). then it was a house that some teachers lived in who worked in a nearby school. i take your point though, no need for it, whould it cost me more just having 3 phase supply?

Some pictures of the fuse boards fed by the two different meters might shed some light on what is going on.
What is the electricity consumption recorded by the meter in the utility room ( the new one that says installed in 2016) I would imagine that you might find that one is more in line with the bills you would be expecting to pay.
the old one has normal consumption, the new one is £1900 per month... i need an electrical investigator!

does anyone on here live in east sussex?

I am miles from you, in coventry.

£37.50 per hour working
£30 per hour traveling
£0.40 per mile traveling

I could come and do a report for you, however I am busy with other work at the moment and could do without all the traveling.

SURELY there is a member here that can spend a day doing a load analysis without adding 7 hours traveling to the bill???????

ok so i have turned off all the power in the house, the farm shop and the farm house remain lit up. so either its not them or they have tapped into my supply outside of my house.
I only turned off for a few mins and the numbers on the meter remained the same. i will turn it off for an hour tomorrw morning and see if the numbers remain the same then. i really appreciate this advice.
any idea how much does a 3* tumble dryer would cost per hour to run?
Did you turn all the power off at both meters at the main switch, or did you turn off everything consuming electricity?

Their lights staying on isn't an indicator that it's not them - if i was going to steal leccy i would do it for the high powered stuff, not the lights.

If they have a loft full of weed or even Bitcoin mining modules it could just be running those.

If you've turned the supply off then anything being stolen which is out of sight such as a drugs farm won't register on the meter. You need to turn off everything you're using and not the actual supply to see if someone is stealing from you supply-side. Turning off the mains is only going to be useful if you can physically see something go off everytime you turn your mains off. To see if it's being nicked from your energised supply you need to disconnect every last piece of electrical equipment and turn off anything like lights etc, all sockets, fans etc and then see if there is still power being used via the meter. You need the line being potentially stolen off to be energised to check if there's something being drawn from it but at the same time need to be certain you're not drawing it yourself.

If nothing is registering it's likely your meter is dodgy and i'd get it replaced asap.

Either way, now is the time to call in a professional. Just google someone in your area, make the call, ask them if they are fully qualified and if they have the Testing and Inspection qualification. If they check out, get them in.

Reply to How can I ascertain if I am paying for someone else's electricity? Help! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net