Discuss How do I get an ECS card? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is my first post on this forum, so please beg my pardon if I posted this message in the wrong thread or if I violate some forum rules (which I've read).
So, here's my question: I've recently (and I mean very recently) got a few City and Guilds certifications:
  • C&G 2393
  • C&G 2382 BS7671 17th edition, amendment 3 (2015)
  • C&G 2377-201
  • C&G 2377-601
I have to wait until December to do my C&G 2394 and 2395 written exams.
Now, since I'd like to work as an employee, I need to hold an ECS card.
I've looked at the ECS website, where it says that I need to pass the H&S exam, which is not a problem itself. It also tells that there are a few exemptions where you don't need to sit the H&S exam. My question is:
Since I have the aforementioned C&G certifications, do I need to sit the H&S exam?
If yes, please tell me how, since it's everything but clear on the ECS website.
Of course I've tried to contact them, but I've got no answer.
Also, by now the only card I got by post is the Logic Certification card, stating Domestic Electrical Installer.
Should I receive other cards since the certificates I hold?
Thank you.

If you have passed a Technological Electrical Level 3 with C&G within the last 2 years you are exempt from taking the exam but need to apply to the ECS in Darlington for the card. Please check this with them, I'm only posting what they say on their website so do your homework in case my information is slightly wrong.

ps the exam is very easy, passed it last week with no revision lol.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, this is my first post on this forum, so please beg my pardon if I posted this message in the wrong thread or if I violate some forum rules (which I've read).
So, here's my question: I've recently (and I mean very recently) got a few City and Guilds certifications:
  • C&G 2393
  • C&G 2382 BS7671 17th edition, amendment 3 (2015)
  • C&G 2377-201
  • C&G 2377-601
I have to wait until December to do my C&G 2394 and 2395 written exams.
Now, since I'd like to work as an employee, I need to hold an ECS card.
I've looked at the ECS website, where it says that I need to pass the H&S exam, which is not a problem itself. It also tells that there are a few exemptions where you don't need to sit the H&S exam. My question is:
Since I have the aforementioned C&G certifications, do I need to sit the H&S exam?
If yes, please tell me how, since it's everything but clear on the ECS website.
Of course I've tried to contact them, but I've got no answer.
Also, by now the only card I got by post is the Logic Certification card, stating Domestic Electrical Installer.
Should I receive other cards since the certificates I hold?
Thank you.

https://www.ecscard.org.uk/ECS-Health-and-Safety-Assessment.aspx

you will have to sit the ECS test as you wont be exempt with what you've got.

I'm not sure what card you would get with those quals......might be lucky and get a trainee card as certainly wouldn't be graded as an electrician.

Edit: took me so long to type didn't see Neil's posts ;-)

Last edited:
Allright, thank you for you answers. BTW, I've already read the ECS requirements many times, but I find the explanations given confusing and not clear at all.
I'm not sure what card you would get with those quals......might be lucky and get a trainee card as certainly wouldn't be graded as an electrician.
Mh, seriously? What would I need to be considered an electrician?

Allright, thank you for you answers. BTW, I've already read the ECS requirements many times, but I find the explanations given confusing and not clear at all.

Mh, seriously? What would I need to be considered an electrician?

yeah seriously! you would only be graded as an electrician if you completed your underpinning knowledge such as 2365 level 2&3, AM2 and converted in to the NVQ level 3 2357 qualification by completing the bridging units. hope you didn't waste a stack of cash on a training course to get them quals? the only real beneficial one you have is the 2382 as this would also be required with the others ive mentioned to be considered an electrician by the JIB.

Last edited:
To do the H&S assessment read this revision guide that has all the questions that you may asked
The ECS H&S assessment has 45 questions (out of the 300 in the revision guide) to be completed in 30 minutes. 38 out of 45 correct answers will be needed to pass the assessment.

The current qualifications accepted for JIB grading as an electrician are one of the following:
Apprenticeship Deeds or Completion Certificate,
City and Guilds 2360 parts one and two,
2351 (full),
2330 Levels two and three AND NVQ Level 3 in Electrotechnical Services (Electrical Installation – Buildings and Structures) (City and Guilds 2356),
Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Installing Electrotechnical systems and equipment (Buildings, Structures and the environment) (City and Guilds 2357).

I'm afraid I have to agree with Lee, the courses you have done are not the route to become a competent electrician, you need to understand the underpinning electrical theory to understand not just what you are doing but why you are doing it. The 2394 and 2395 are recognised qualifications (as is the 2382)but there is no point learning to test and inspect an electrical installation if you don't have a full understanding of what you are looking for with regards to the test results.
As far as I am aware you can still get an ECS labourer's ancillary operative card which will help you get on site, and when you get on site as a labourer - that is when you'll start your training. You could perhaps sign up with your local college for evening classes working towards your 2365 theory qualifications. I'm not sure if colleges offer 2357 NVQ as an evening course but it is worth checking.
Best option is to get yourself on an apprenticeship if you can but there can be a lot of competition for spaces especially if you apply to the multi-national companies like EDF etc.

Last edited:
Ok ok, thanks a lot everyone for your answers. Don't ask me about the costs of the certifications I've done, I don't wanna talk about it.
So, the best option for me is to request an Apprentice ECS card, go to work in some ways, get some experience and then get at least on of the qualifications listed by Richard Burns, right? Or could I go straight for a Trainee ECS card?
Bear in mind that, while I have 5 years experience in the domestic electric field, I've worked in Italy, so I don't know if my experience back there is worth something here.

Ok ok, thanks a lot everyone for your answers. Don't ask me about the costs of the certifications I've done, I don't wanna talk about it.
So, the best option for me is to request an Apprentice ECS card, go to work in some ways, get some experience and then get at least on of the qualifications listed by Richard Burns, right? Or could I go straight for a Trainee ECS card?
Bear in mind that, while I have 5 years experience in the domestic electric field, I've worked in Italy, so I don't know if my experience back there is worth something here.

You don't need to tell us the costs of what you've done mate, we're already aware. Unfortunately they're many like you who are getting robbed of 5,6,7k and promised the earth with these short courses.

Your experience in Italy counts for nothing i am afraid, you need to become competent or show competence (by the NVQ3 and AM2) ... I'm not saying you don't know what you're doing, but without the paperwork to back it up it can't be relied on if you get what i am saying. Any tom dick and harry could say they've worked 5years in Italy ect...

Your best option is to find work as an electricians mate, get yourself registered with an Agency. Then whilst working for a mate, you can hopefully do your NVQ.

If an ECS card is high on your agenda, then yes apply for trainee. If not, work as a mate and wait.

Mark.

I see you point about my experience in Italy. I can't really prove it, first, and second, domestic electric installations work way different from how they work here (our maximum energetic demand for a domestic installation is 3.0 kW, or 4.5 kW if you're rich enough to afford such a contract; you want more? sucks to be you! you'll need a 3 phase contract. That said, you can imagine why our incoming supply is fed by a 4 sq mm twin cable... a 6 sq mm cable? Never seen that before starting my training!).
Anyway, the trainee ECS card is out of question too, since I've seen that its application form must be signed by the current or previous employer. And guess what? My last employer is based in Italy...
So, I'll try to start as an electrician mate, but it'll be hard since EVERYONE request an ECS/CSCS card. And to get those, I have to work somewhere, apparently. What a nice catch 22...
Anyway, thank you again for your help, now things are way clear(er?). Now it's time to man up and find a job as a mate...

you can take the ECS health and safety test

ECS Health & Safety Assessment | ECS Card

then apply for a labourer card which will get you on site as a mate/electrical labourer. Some sites will let you on provisionally with just a copy of your ECS H&S test certificate until your card comes through which can take a couple of months. If you can persuade someone you are working with to sign the appropriate parts then you could get a trainee card but it doesn't make much difference in my opinion. Many sparks have labourer cards because they've never got around to doing their NVQ3 but what matters most is that you are competent.

Reply to How do I get an ECS card? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net