Discuss How does an appliance have a voltage through it?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Was recently at a job where the dishwasher was getting a voltage through it, checked the spur and the cpc was disconnected. Understand the reason that’s it’s became live is because the cpc was disconnected, what I want to know is why has that caused the dishwasher to have a voltage through it? Should it not go round the live and neutral or am I just being very silly

Typically equipment these days have RFI/EMC suppression (pre 1990s = radio frequency interference / post 1996 = electromagnetic compatibility) that are intended to stop switching noise, etc, from circulating in the supply cables and being radiated as if they were antennas.

The usual sort of device has something like 0.1uF for L-N where leakage is unimportant, but around 4.7nF for L-E and N-E to keep the current down to avoid RCDs tripping, etc. Still it results in around 0.35mA for each capacitor of that sort (assuming 230V 50Hz).

So if the CPC is open you will see that sort of current trying to flow given the chance. If is not pleasant, but not dangerous in itself. In some ways that is good as it might let someone know there is a CPC fault before anything goes wrong that would need it for ADS.

Everything that is live naturally creates earth leakage even under normal operating conditions. One metre of twin and earth generates a tiny amount of capacitive leakage from line to CPC; 100 metres creates 100 times as much. All the wiring in a house might create a milliamp or two, appliances somewhere between 0.1mA and 3mA each, etc. Normally this is of no account but as soon as the CPC is disconnected, all the tiny leakages downstream of the disconnection point will raise the voltage of the disconnected CPC and everything fed from it, until the current leaking out of the CPC equals the amount leaking in.

What voltage actually appears depends on the potential divider formed by a) the total parallel leakage impedance from line to the disconnected CPC and b) the total parallel leakage impedance from the disconnected CPC to true earth. Anywhere between zero and 230V to true earth is possible, but voltages of 50-150 seem most common on disconnected CPCs. Because the impedances of the leakage paths are high, measuring the voltage with a meter often changes it drastically - making it an example of a so-called 'ghost voltage.'

BTW, 'voltage through it' is not the best choice of terminology. Voltages appear 'between' two points. Currents flow 'through' a conductor.

Reply to How does an appliance have a voltage through it?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net