Discuss How to gain Heavy Industrial and PLC experience in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

While at the foundry my phone would ring at least once a week. “Where do I find,,,,, in the program”. I could still talk someone through Modsoft log on followed by search F5, search next F5/F6, trace F5/F3, change register value Clrl/Enter.
The fact I was out in a club completely off my face didn’t matter. Funny next morning though, I couldn’t remember a thing about it.

I don’t think you ever do forget it.

While at the foundry my phone would ring at least once a week. “Where do I find,,,,, in the program”. I could still talk someone through Modsoft log on followed by search F5, search next F5/F6, trace F5/F3, change register value Clrl/Enter.
The fact I was out in a club completely off my face didn’t matter. Funny next morning though, I couldn’t remember a thing about it.

I don’t think you ever do forget it.

That brings back memories, I must have worked on Modicon PLC's for 15+ years at Rover & Land Rover, used to know all the hotkey shortcuts.

Sorry for hi-jacking but I find myself in a similar situation. Have been using AB/Mitsy/Omron PLC's for the past 2 years. My experience with them only really goes as far as wiring and setting up/troubleshooting physical comms. Havent touched the programming side of these things! So is programming something I should be getting into?

The last system I put in I wanted to use Mitsubishi so the company stumped up for the software, got change out of £50! They then changed their minds and wanted Modicon (half way through me writing the program!) the new PLC arrived and it didn’t use Modsoft but PL7. We had to buy the PL7 compiler, not a lot of change out of £800!
As a hint, if you want to have a play around, go for Mitzi. A small PLC isn’t out of the way price wise ether.
What ever you try, they all have their little quirks.

Sorry for hi-jacking but I find myself in a similar situation. Have been using AB/Mitsy/Omron PLC's for the past 2 years. My experience with them only really goes as far as wiring and setting up/troubleshooting physical comms. Havent touched the programming side of these things! So is programming something I should be getting into?

Yes,without a doubt that's where the fun is.
If you can use a plc as a fault finding tool then your opening up a huge amount of opportunities that you wouldn't get simply installing them.
Youve got a huge advantage in that you know the kit as well.
Go for it fella.

Simple, after completing technical course, apply for internship in large companies, and then earn as much experience as you can. hopefully you can get permanent job on the basis of your trainee/internship experience.
i might be wrong, but i thought internships (unpaid) were in breach of minimum wage laws in the uk. i noticed you're residing in the garden state, jack. do you ever see tony and paulie at the bada bing? also, did silvio ever come out of that coma?

Reply to How to gain Heavy Industrial and PLC experience in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net