Discuss How to prepare myself for City & Guilds 2382-10 17th Edition Exam.. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi,

Does any one can advice me how to prepare myself for City & Guilds 2382-10 17th Edition Exam..

Thanks..
I put all the tables, and their page nos on a bit of paper taped just inside the front cover and also tag every section - it will save you time. Other than that just read read and read. Good luck.

Get hold of as many past exam papers as you can and go through all. The questions in your exam may vary, but it really helps you find your way round the red book. Good Luck.

One Tip for you, what normally happens is: The Questions are Weighted Against the Part Numbers and Appendix and can run in numerical order:

Here Goes:

Part 1 - 4
Part 2 - 3
Part 3 - 5
Part 4 - 14
Part 5 - 15
Part 6 - 6
Part 7 - 10
Appendices - 3

I Would Only Tag the Part Numbers Pages and the Appendix Page because to many Tags just clog up the book and can make it more confusing.

Apart from that you should know how to reference the book :D

One Tip for you, what normally happens is: The Questions are Weighted Against the Part Numbers and Appendix and can run in numerical order:

Here Goes:

Part 1 - 4
Part 2 - 3
Part 3 - 5
Part 4 - 14
Part 5 - 15
Part 6 - 6
Part 7 - 10
Appendices - 3

I Would Only Tag the Part Numbers Pages and the Appendix Page because to many Tags just clog up the book and can make it more confusing.

Apart from that you should know how to reference the book :D
Yer sorry tonys, I meant for him to tag the sections.

You can't be expected to know everything off the top of your head...but maybe about a third to a half of the questions are general electrical knowledge, so the correct answer should be pretty obvious. You can fly through these.
Through experience you may know the maximum Zs for 6A and 32A Type B breakers. That might save you 2 minutes if they asked you about those.

Some will require looking up and to help you I will give you three page numbers: 48, 49 and 164.
48 and 49 are tables of maximum loop impedances for 0.4 and 5 second disconnection times. Write "5 SECONDS" in red in the right hand margin alongside table 41.4, so you don't confuse it with the values for 0.4 seconds in table 41.2 on page 48.

Page 164 is the index of Special Locations.

Go through all the ones you know off the top of your head first, flagging the ones you'll need to look up and coming back to them later.

The questions tend to be in the order from front to back of the book, except for the special locations ones which are thrown in at random.
So if you're really stuck on one, you will have a clue about which part of the book to look in.

I flew through mine, then spent 45 minutes looking for one answer at the end... and still chose the wrong answer for it. But it was the only one I got wrong :)

Simon.

You can't be expected to know everything off the top of your head...but maybe about a third to a half of the questions are general electrical knowledge, so the correct answer should be pretty obvious. You can fly through these.
Through experience you may know the maximum Zs for 6A and 32A Type B breakers. That might save you 2 minutes if they asked you about those.

Some will require looking up and to help you I will give you three page numbers: 48, 49 and 164.
48 and 49 are tables of maximum loop impedances for 0.4 and 5 second disconnection times. Write "5 SECONDS" in red in the right hand margin alongside table 41.4, so you don't confuse it with the values for 0.4 seconds in table 41.2 on page 48.

Page 164 is the index of Special Locations.

Go through all the ones you know off the top of your head first, flagging the ones you'll need to look up and coming back to them later.

The questions tend to be in the order from front to back of the book, except for the special locations ones which are thrown in at random.
So if you're really stuck on one, you will have a clue about which part of the book to look in.

I flew through mine, then spent 45 minutes looking for one answer at the end... and still chose the wrong answer for it. But it was the only one I got wrong :)

Simon.

Sounds good to me fella.

Cider, another cider and perhaps one more.........

It really is a breaze, secret is not to stress or suffer ARGH MINDS GONE BLANK!!!!

Chill it really is easy!

Yer as others have said it's quite an easy exam to do just Familiarize yourself with the Big Red book and do the past papers and you'll be fine but also you should have been given a NIC 17th Edition learning guide which breaks down the BRB and has lots of picture diagrams and lots of revision questions at the end of each part.

Its easy, get familiar with the layout of the book and the OSG, lots of post it notes to stick in relevant pages. The exam usually starts with a the first question from the front of the book, and the last near the back. Dont rush it.Run through the exam and answer the ones you know or can find quickly, then go back to the more difficult ones. Make sure you read the question properly, some can be a bit misleading and difficult to interpret properly.

Reply to How to prepare myself for City & Guilds 2382-10 17th Edition Exam.. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net