Discuss How to re wire light with 4 wire colours in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

erergwerg

DIY
Reaction score
Hello,
please can someone help me. I was removing a fan attached to a light and putting in a new light. Theres 4 colour wires - which wires go where? I have attached a photo.
Thanks!photo_2021-12-28_08-10-14.jpg

So is that ceiling rose new and was that the only cable connected to the old one.

Connect red to brown, blue to blue and the yellow into the "LOOP" terminal on its own. The bare wire sleeved with green/yellow sleeve and connected to the separate terminal. Hopefully this should work.

Could be either the red or the yellow to the brown flex, depending on how the fan/light was wired.
I'd connect the wires without trimming them first, apply power, check that it works as it should, then isolate power again, before trimming wires to length and fitting neatly.

I'm still slightly confused. Is the bare wire meant to be yellow and green? And what do you mean by a separate terminal? Was the yellow only wire for the fan?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211229-212209_Telegram.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 12
Which wire would go in which number? Also when I uncovered it the yellow wire was cut so short it was practically touching the bare wire which I found a bit odd

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211229-212731_Telegram.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 10
The bare earth wire should be covered , apart from the last few mm., with a green and yellow tubular sleeve. The bare end should be doubled over and connected into the terminal on its own, directly above where the cable enters, in the pic. in your last post.
We are assuming that the red and yellow wires are one for the live to the light, and the other for the live to the fan, but we don't know which way around.
The terminals you have labelled 3, 4 and 5 are intended for another purpose, but you can use one of them to 'park' the fan wire, once you have identified if it is the red or the yellow.
You need to strip off a small amount more of the wire's outer grey sheath to make the yellow a bit longer.

Working and safe are not the same thing.
Getting electrics to 'work' is a minor part of an electricians job. The art is getting them to work safely, and more importantly, to fail safely.
Probably a good idea to post a pic of the finished rose with the cover off.

Reply to How to re wire light with 4 wire colours in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net