Discuss in defence of the time served spark in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

MDJ

We are getting a lot of stick from short course guys at the moment telling us we are miserable old gits and part of an old boys club. I would like to apologise for taking 4 and a half years to become an electrician on block release at college and with on site training, to add also with a further 2 years under supervision to get approved status which then meant we could work alone. I appreciate times have changed and we are out of date and past it, taking 6 and a half years to get approved which is possible in 5 weeks today seems a little silly I know, we are living in yesterday years, we only know about things that today would not be seen much due to the invention of twin and earth and part pee building control regs and apologies again to the short course takers. We are not a bad bunch even if our old city and guild qualifcations are considered to be laughable in todays high tech exam courses. It wasn't our fault the Achievment mesurement and city and guilds were around back then, apologies for being out of date and out of touch, we may be past it but we did have it once and may still be able to work on Domestic properties today with further training.

Profound apologies from us the older generation who didn't do Modern short courses .

i'm sick of hearing about these fully qualified guys !

who do they think they are ?

what with all their knowledge , practical skills and fault finding experience , they deserve to be burnt at the stake !!

oh , wait.........

;-)

One of the electrical industrys proudest achievements has been the introduction of Part "P" back in 2005. Since then electrical related deaths have gone down, electrical fires have gone down as competency standards have improved. And to think Part "P" was originally opposed by the older generation electricians at first!.

Before Part "P" youngsters leaving school faced 4 year apprenticeships and earned poor wages before they could be entitled to being know as tradesmen. Now our youngsters can go on any of the excellent 5 week installer courses run across the country and setup their own businesses straight away after passing. I dont think another professions can be proud to boast this achievement and all for less than £5K. They can then earn good cash and feel pride in doing a good job for people who need professional services.

Part "P" also gives a controlled environment where only those qualified can work, increasing job opportunities and adding greater profit margins to turnover. Gone are the cowboys as without Part "P" any old fly-by-night plumber or kitchen fitter would be able to do electrical work without any qualifications.

I will only give jobs to apprentice trained guys, and if they want to do apprenticeships, they have to take the long route.

We have a great time laughing at the 5 week idiots stumbling through an order at the wholesalers.

burnt... steak.... bloody philistine.... steaks should be rare to medium rare.

We are getting a lot of stick from short course guys at the moment telling us we are miserable old gits and part of an old boys club. I would like to apologise for taking 4 and a half years to become an electrician on block release at college and with on site training, to add also with a further 2 years under supervision to get approved status which then meant we could work alone. I appreciate times have changed and we are out of date and past it, taking 6 and a half years to get approved which is possible in 5 weeks today seems a little silly I know, we are living in yesterday years, we only know about things that today would not be seen much due to the invention of twin and earth and part pee building control regs and apologies again to the short course takers. We are not a bad bunch even if our old city and guild qualifcations are considered to be laughable in todays high tech exam courses. It wasn't our fault the Achievment mesurement and city and guilds were around back then, apologies for being out of date and out of touch, we may be past it but we did have it once and may still be able to work on Domestic properties today with further training.

Profound apologies from us the older generation who didn't do Modern short courses .

Miserable old git... :wink:

I will only give jobs to apprentice trained guys, and if they want to do apprenticeships, they have to take the long route.

I can understand your reasoning for that, but it's going to become increasingly difficult to do as time passes.

I would guess (I stand to be corrected if anyone has figures to prove otherwise) that the 1980s was the last decade where apprentices were trained in any significant numbers. Since then it has been an ever decreasing number, so eventually the apprentice trained electricians are going to be very few and far between.

The likelihood of getting a job in a skilled trade that lasts four to six years is very slim these days, never mind finding a company that will stand the many thousands it will cost to train an apprentice.

Mike, I could not have put that over any better, hooray to you, times have moved on, BUT what it is, is what it is!!!. I am proud to have the C&G 236, 3 years at college day release (didn't do C course), further 2years as improver to gain approved. This new breed is of a different generation, not their fault, and I have meet some bloody good one's, also a few rough old badgers too of our era, maybe we are grumpy old gits? I don't care and will never change my work ethic.!!

I can understand your reasoning for that, but it's going to become increasingly difficult to do as time passes.

I would guess (I stand to be corrected if anyone has figures to prove otherwise) that the 1980s was the last decade where apprentices were trained in any significant numbers. Since then it has been an ever decreasing number, so eventually the apprentice trained electricians are going to be very few and far between.

The likelihood of getting a job in a skilled trade that lasts four to six years is very slim these days, never mind finding a company that will stand the many thousands it will cost to train an apprentice.

But there isn't really any other of learning. I wont pay someone as a spark until they can prove they know enough that they won't endanger people.

That's whats wrong with this industry, if you train in 5 weeks you will be happy to get paid crap money, but my guys want more because they have put in the effort and I think they deserve it.

Deskilling to fill the gaps is just a stupid way forward and it will eventually ruin this industry.

Reply to in defence of the time served spark in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net