Discuss Installing downlights in bedroom. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mihobb

Can you help me? I am about to install 5 12V downlights. I am not sure wether I need to use trunking in the loft or it is enough that I use thermal resistant cable and put it on top of the insulation. What do you think might be the best solution?

i would suggest using 230V LED lamps. that way you will have less current in the cables, no transformers , and less heat dissipation to worry about. if using halogens, make sure the is at least a 6" space clear of insulation around each fitting.

Agree with the above. Can't see why anyone would want to fit halogens nowadays as LED lamps are very reasonably priced.

The last 4 downlight jobs i've done, the customer have been happy to go with LEDs.

I am not using halogens. Just 50W spot lights. I am not sure what would be the best way to run the cables.
so what type of spotlights. it's a no brainer to use 230v LEDs as the cost would be offset by not having to buy transformers.

12V 50W. The question is about how ideally run the cables. Under or above loft insulation? To use trunking or thermal cable?

if you cable under the insulation, as long as the derated CCC of the cable is > the load then no need for heat-resistant cable except for the flex to the fittings.

but i can't see why anyone would want to fit transformers which themselves are prone to breakdown, meltdown, fire risk, just 1 more source of failure,etc.

not to mention the fact that the current drawn at 12v is 20x that drawn at 240v.

Last edited:
12v downlighters - YUK

Fit 240v GU10's then the customer can swap to LED's when they want.
i'd fit LEDs from the start. 5 LEds cost about £40-£50. save £30-£5 on transformer costs. ssssimmples.

12V 50W. The question is about how ideally run the cables. Under or above loft insulation? To use trunking or thermal cable?

What type if not halogen?

Whats the MCB size and cable size.

Probably won't even matter about the effect of the itchy stuff

Last edited:
Is this a 1st fix? If so, I wouldn't even think about using 12v in a bedroom, why go to the expense of transformers? If you are worried about cables, you are just increasing the current in them by using 12v. If you have a choice, why would you concider running the cables beneath the insulation? LED v Halogen, you get what you pay for. If you want to pay £2 for an LED light, they will be dim. Pay £10 - £15 they will be just as bright as anything else out there with the added benefit of the long life they give as well as the energy saving benefits.

I'm reading about these dimmable LED's and they seem hellishly expensive.
Has anyone got any recommendations?
These bulbs seem to be between £25-£30 each.
Thanks.

Reply to Installing downlights in bedroom. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net