Search the forum,

Discuss IP Ratings for 12v Downlights in bathroom in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

icecreamvan99

Hi All,

I'm hoping for some advice on a confusing subject! I have just changed all my down lights in my bathroom as the old ones were rusty and not working due to the transformers being faulty. The old lights were bog standard with no face or anything to protect from splashes (even above shower). I replaced them with IP20 lights.

Someone mentioned above a shower it would need a fitting with a least ip 44 protection? Do I need to change my lights?

I believe it to be Zone 2 if measured from the floor to ceiling or Zone 1 if measured from the standing area in the tray to the ceiling. Does the following mean as they are 12v IP ratings are irrelevant and a 12v IP20 light is fine above the shower? I notice I says OR not AND. The transformers are in the loft.

Zone 2 is the area stretching to 0.6m outside the bath or shower and above the bath or shower if over 2.25m. An IP rating of at least IPx4 is required, or SELV (max 12V) with the source being outside zones 0, 1 and 2.

Zone 1 is above the bath or shower to a height of 2.25m. A minimum IP rating of IPx4 is required, or SELV (max 12V) with the source being outside zones 0, 1 and 2.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I would say that 12V IP20 downlights are not suitable for installation within the zones and certainly not over the shower within the zones.
The down light transformers can be considered as SELV according to the labelling.
If the ceiling to the finished floor level is >2.25m then so long as the down light is suitable it would meet the regulations, but I would not consider it a good idea.
The area above a shower can only be zone 1 or out of zones, your description of zone 2 is not correct.

These lights would technically meet the regulations regarding the zone rules for the special location. As they are above 2.25m from the floor they would be outside the zones.

However, IP20 gives no protection of ingress from water of any kind. Your new lights will also be rusty and non functional in no time due to steam and condensation, and that's not taking into account any splashes from the shower spray. I would suggest, as you say, a minimum of IP44 in a bathroom. The lights in mine are IP65.

Reply to IP Ratings for 12v Downlights in bathroom in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock