Discuss Is blocking an extractor fan dangerous? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Our extractor fan was making a very loud noise when it is on. Stopped this by putting more pressure on it with duct tape but means it is stopping the fan from moving. Is there any problems with blocking the extractor fan from moving? Will it short circuit or anything?

Our extractor fan was making a very loud noise when it is on. Stopped this by putting more pressure on it with duct tape but means it is stopping the fan from moving. Is there any problems with blocking the extractor fan from moving? Will it short circuit or anything?
If the impeller has jammed the fan motor Could overheat when it is switched on and ignite, I say COULD IGNITE, best to get it checked out by an Electrician, or switch it OFF in the mean time.

Forcibly stopping a motor is definitely not a good idea. As above, switch it off. Or is it wired to come on with the light?

It comes on with the light.

You will need to get a sparky out to isolate or replace it. Dont attempt to isolate it yourself unless you feel competent to do it.

This is what I’ve done. A little bit of pressure on the middle is the only way to stop the noise. But stops the fan from moving. Fan is very weak also anyway

Attachments

• 6BAD4182-8CAA-426A-A31F-26480F1846EE.jpeg
    49.3 KB · Views: 57
that fan looks like a relic from Dad's Army. get a spark to replace it ( or do it yourself if you are competent to do it ).

Most domestic fan motors are impedance protected so they shouldn't overheat to the point of combustion under lock rotor conditions. I still think what you've done is a bad idea though because I don't trust the ratings and compliance of cheap motors from the Far East and I've personally encountered more than one domestic bathroom fan that caught fire in the past.

If there's no isolator switch next to the fan rather get someone in to remove and disconnect the fan.

Reactions: DPG
Surely this is a wind-up?

Nobody in their right mind restricts an energised motor from turning and actually has to ask if it is safe?

This is what I’ve done. A little bit of pressure on the middle is the only way to stop the noise. But stops the fan from moving. Fan is very weak also anyway
Cormac looks like it’s time for a new fan

First off It could be that the amount of dirt on the fan has unbalanced it, give it a good clean and see if the noise goes away, if it is still noisy get an electrician in to disconnect or replace it..

@Cormac you need the services of an electrician before you have a possible fire situation.
Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is blocking an extractor fan dangerous? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net