Discuss Is this ceiling lamp in danger of falling? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello, I have a very heavy frosted glass ceiling lamp and I have noticed that the top conical plastic part looks as if it got disconnected from the glass at some point. I don't know if it was installed like this because it was already like this when I moved in. I have a cat and I don't want him to die if this falls lol.

I'm thinking of calling an electrician soon but, in the mean time, how strong are these bulb holder things? Are they sturdy enough to hold heavy glass? It looks and feels sturdy but I need to be sure 100% whether this lamp can fall or not, or at least know how dangerous this is and if I need to limit my cat's access to the kitchen and be careful when walking under it.
BTW, electrically, the lamp is fine, there has never been any flickering or noises or short circuits and stuff.

I took 2 pics of the inside and 2 of the outside. Excuse the dirt lol, I was in the process of cleaning when I noticed.

TL;DR
Is this lamp at risk of falling?

Attachments

• 20201219_180408.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 20201219_180423.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 20201219_180459.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 20201219_180535.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 23
Oh ok, so what you're saying is that it was installed like this and it's not going to fall?

Difficult to be certain, but I think so. Try tightening it. You will need to support the glass shade while you do this.

Don't over tighten it though. They can seize due to the temperature.

Last edited:
The only thing I would like to add is be careful.. those lamp holders have the large threaded portion simply clicked into place. In the fourth picture, you can clearly see one of the two clips... the oblong shaped flat portion. These are only properly held in place when something encases them such as the body of the shade and the nut that holds the shade on there.

Depending on the quality of the fitting and the type of lamp that's been used in it, they could be brittle or they may be slightly flexible. I've managed to unintentionally pull the threaded part of a similar lamp holder with very little force in the past, so as @DPG says you should support the glass shade well.

If you can't get your fingers in, if you something flattish and thin (such as a wooden pencil - whatever you use it should ideally be non-conductive just in case - two similarly sized items would be better) you may be able to tighten it up using the wooden item almost like a screwdriver to push the nut round using the castellations. If you're proficient with chopsticks they may make an excellent impromptu tool for the task.

LOL at the chopsticks, I am indeed proficient but thankfully any extra tools weren't needed. I took the bulb out and my hands barely fit in there properly but I actually managed to screw it upwards by slowly touching it and turning it with the tip of my fingers. My guess is that whoever installed this didn't wanna bother and just left it like that, which is very concerning.

@SparkyChick I did notice those clips and that's another thing that was worrying me because I didn't know what they were but I could tell it must have something to do with holding the thing together and felt like they shouldn't be exposed like that.

Thank you very much Sparky and @DPG for the swift, helpful, and informative response. The issue is now fixed!

LOL at the chopsticks, I am indeed proficient but thankfully any extra tools weren't needed. I took the bulb out and my hands barely fit in there properly but I actually managed to screw it upwards by slowly touching it and turning it with the tip of my fingers. My guess is that whoever installed this didn't wanna bother and just left it like that, which is very concerning.

@SparkyChick I did notice those clips and that's another thing that was worrying me because I didn't know what they were but I could tell it must have something to do with holding the thing together and felt like they shouldn't be exposed like that.

Thank you very much Sparky and @DPG for the swift, helpful, and informative response. The issue is now fixed!

Great stuff! Easier than training the cat not to walk under it :)

Reply to Is this ceiling lamp in danger of falling? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net