Discuss It's Just Not My Day...... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Paul.M

-
Esteemed
Supporter
Reaction score
.... Slept in, an hour late to pick up the "mate" (not a good start).

Later on showing him how to put up some door coach lights and drilling from the outside, this happened:-

drill bit.jpg

Whoops :rofl:

Within an hour this happened:-

foot in it.jpg

Yep,,,, that is my right leg hanging through the ceiling of the living room! I was looking up at the light fittings and not looking where I was walking! Think I may have to slip the plasterer a couple of quid to sort it out lol :rofl:

Enough is enough so we packed up and quit at 3pm. Tomorrow is another day :smile:

Monday and Tuesday I was working in London replacing emergency lights. The delivery was one fitting short so I picked one up from the wholesaler Tuesday morning and duly jumped on the train with the fitting in a carrier bag.
Naturally by the time I had got to the job I wasn't carrying the carrier bag, that was still happily sitting on the train, probably on its way down to Portsmouth by then.

And of course this happened just to wind me up.
502067f1adeb184b75a1f9590cb433e6.jpg

You Dozy Pirrock... :smartass2: Paul....

Done the angle drill through a frame but never gone through a ceiling YET!

Last edited:
You Dozy Pirrock... :smartass2: Paul....

Done the angle drill through a frame but never gone through a ceiling YET!

Put my backside through a ceiling once when I was younger! In a loft clipping cables and thought it was a good idea to use a plank of wood to sit on in-between the rafters..... Plank of wood broke in the middle, my arse is now in the spare bedroom, posh customer going frantic. Trip to the local DIY store, bought stuff, fixed stuff, customer gave me a £20 tip!!!!

I'll never forget this moment... my 501 jeans protruding from the kids bedroom!!! Thank God the kid was at school at the time :rofl:

One of my best moments was drilling into a wall for fixings and pushing a bit hard and going through the wall, and then the enormous old painting hanging on the other side!

Last edited by a moderator:
Monday and Tuesday I was working in London replacing emergency lights. The delivery was one fitting short so I picked one up from the wholesaler Tuesday morning and duly jumped on the train with the fitting in a carrier bag.
Naturally by the time I had got to the job I wasn't carrying the carrier bag, that was still happily sitting on the train, probably on its way down to Portsmouth by then.

And of course this happened just to wind me up.
502067f1adeb184b75a1f9590cb433e6.jpg

I'm gonna estimate it took you a stack of a dozen washers to make up that gap :p

One of my best moments was drilling into a wall for fixings and pushing a bit hard and going through the wall, and then the enormous old painting hanging on the other side!

Here is one for you all....

Company owner and head spark says "drill here, I've marked it up for you for the 2 x SWA to the outside...... chop chop, time is pushing on so just do it". SO I DID.... 2 x 25mm holes,,, but I cant see day light????? Strange, lets have a look where my drill bit has ended up....... ONLY IN THE CONTROL ROOM OF A POLICE STATION!!!!! Now that took a bit of explaining :rofl:

S**t happens, it how you deal with it that counts.

Here is one for you all....

Company owner and head spark says "drill here, I've marked it up for you for the 2 x SWA to the outside...... chop chop, time is pushing on so just do it". SO I DID.... 2 x 25mm holes,,, but I cant see day light????? Strange, lets have a look where my drill bit has ended up....... ONLY IN THE CONTROL ROOM OF A POLICE STATION!!!!! Now that took a bit of explaining :rofl:

S**t happens, it how you deal with it that counts.

I know of a spark locally who liked to wire things through wall cavities. He hadn't quite realised that the party wall on a semi was solid and didn't have a cavity.
The neighbours were impressed with the new bit of White T&E running down the wall

I know of a spark locally who liked to wire things through wall cavities. He hadn't quite realised that the party wall on a semi was solid and didn't have a cavity.
The neighbours were impressed with the new bit of White T&E running down the wall

I don't run cables through cavities but I did knock through into a next door property a few months back. Not really my fault though, the downstairs toilets had been fashioned out of the original outhouse and coal hole and were a single brick wall dividing the rooms.
Apparently the weird old guy next door and the previous owner of this house were "in sync with their movements". He told me that "they knew all each others' noises" due to the thin wall !!

I was clipping a bit of 2.5 twin along a wall under a desk when one of the clips flew across the room followed by a stream of water. It turns out the room used to be a bathroom and there was an old unused but still live lead water main buried just under the plaster'

I have drilled through to the neighbours property once. Single skin wall between two flats. Didn't realise til the neighbours knocked on. Thankfully it was an easy patch up. In my younger days I helped out a roofer once. Did exactly the same; foot through bathroom ceiling. In mitigation it was starting to rain with no roof on and the joists were slippy!!

Hows this for a potential mega cock up but saved by a stroke of luck. I was working at a very "posh" gaff a couple of years back, had to drill a hole from the swimming pool area into the 3 car garage. I was under the impression that it was a cavity wall, so I put some tape round my drill bit to make sure it only just went through, as it was impossible to work out exactly where it was going to emerge and there was wall to wall racking on the other side stacked with tons of god knows what. Unfortunately it was a single skin so when the drill suddenly lurched forwards I was a bit surprised to hear a dull thud from the garage. When I went round to check a 5 litre tin of Creosote had flew off the racking and landed plum in the space between a brand new Jag and a vintage soft-top Mercedes bonnets. Still makes me go all queer now when I think about it, owners were out so couldn't move them before starting...........

Last edited:
I was clipping a bit of 2.5 twin along a wall under a desk when one of the clips flew across the room followed by a stream of water. It turns out the room used to be a bathroom and there was an old unused but still live lead water main buried just under the plaster'
Haha that's brilliant. I don't mind going through anything that can be easily be re-plastered or otherwise sorted (like door frames) but water it a ****er. Not done it yet but I am sure the day will come. My mate drilled through some buried central heating pipes that he had plumbed in himself! what a plonka. Does anyone have an emergency plan for hitting a water pipe? I have a cycle inner tube in the door pocket of the van, they can be stretched round a leak and work amazingly well in an emergency, although only tested at home.......

Haha that's brilliant. I don't mind going through anything that can be easily be re-plastered or otherwise sorted (like door frames) but water it a ****er. Not done it yet but I am sure the day will come. My mate drilled through some buried central heating pipes that he had plumbed in himself! what a plonka. Does anyone have an emergency plan for hitting a water pipe? I have a cycle inner tube in the door pocket of the van, they can be stretched round a leak and work amazingly well in an emergency, although only tested at home.......

I was cards in with a local building company with every trade on the company. So I turned the stopcock off and just phoned the office and asked for a plumber, then the painters were sent out to fix the mess.

I was cards in with a local building company with every trade on the company. So I turned the stopcock off and just phoned the office and asked for a plumber, then the painters were sent out to fix the mess.
I always make a point of finding out where the stopcock is now before getting the SDS out.

Reply to It's Just Not My Day...... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net