Discuss Its not just the Electrical Trainee, some of the old timers are just as bad in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welchyboy1

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I had to wire the s plan boiler controls for a plumbing and heating company i work for reguarly

it turns out it was at the house of the electrician they use to use for all their electrical works but when part p came in he retired as he was in his early sixties anyway and didnt want the hassel, i took over from him

from the start of the job he was on me like a rash, litterally nose in my ear watching every move i made, making remarks about us whippersnappers in the trade nowadays(i'm 35)

well, well well, after listening to him bang on about how many years he was in the trade and all the things hes seen and done and the apprentices he has trained into expert electricians blah blah blah

i only had to wire up the new heating system from an existing spur,

1.5mm spurred from ring circuit supplying6x fcu units, 1x immersion tank, 2x pumps, 1x booster, boiler and bathroom UFH

sorted that out, then found room stat wired in 2 core t&e with bare earth as live out, not even sleeved, 13a fuse in boiler fcu

no main bonding at all, i explained to him that i had to install it to cert the job, and he just couldnt get his head round it, said it must be another rediculous regulation just been brought out!!
he said it was pointless as he had allready installed an earth rod.......he had, as he said, installed a rod, but the system was a tns with a ze of .21 so totally pointless

i hate to think of the work this bloke has left behind him over the last 40 years

No,Welchy,this is not a surprise. I passed comment on this before....Authorised,certified,qualified,schemifide...means nothing.

...Now competent...that's a different matter.

I have also found that even lads who are more than competent,turn out poor work if they are not also patient,and retain a pride in their work.

Working in a group can cause issues,as the old saying goes "Familiarity breeds contempt",as the accepted standard can be suppressed,due to pressures of demand. Whereby the quality of workmanship,descends to the lowest common denominator.

Or,as me pals dad aptly described this phenomena,"It only takes a tiny bit of shight,in a bucket of water,to make all of it shighty water"...:icon12:

Keep up PEG.
Competent person is history.
You're all Skilled Persons (Electrically), now! :)

When i read that,i instantly remembered the scene in "Life of Brian",where his mum,tells the multitude outside the house,that they should think for themselves,and they were "...all individuals".....they then reply...

...Yep,i've yet to encounter a problem in my life,that cannot be reconciled with a reference to some part of that film :icon12:

I had to wire the s plan boiler controls for a plumbing and heating company i work for reguarly

it turns out it was at the house of the electrician they use to use for all their electrical works but when part p came in he retired as he was in his early sixties anyway and didnt want the hassel, i took over from him

from the start of the job he was on me like a rash, litterally nose in my ear watching every move i made, making remarks about us whippersnappers in the trade nowadays(i'm 35)

well, well well, after listening to him bang on about how many years he was in the trade and all the things hes seen and done and the apprentices he has trained into expert electricians blah blah blah

i only had to wire up the new heating system from an existing spur,

1.5mm spurred from ring circuit supplying6x fcu units, 1x immersion tank, 2x pumps, 1x booster, boiler and bathroom UFH

sorted that out, then found room stat wired in 2 core t&e with bare earth as live out, not even sleeved, 13a fuse in boiler fcu

no main bonding at all, i explained to him that i had to install it to cert the job, and he just couldnt get his head round it, said it must be another rediculous regulation just been brought out!!
he said it was pointless as he had allready installed an earth rod.......he had, as he said, installed a rod, but the system was a tns with a ze of .21 so totally pointless

i hate to think of the work this bloke has left behind him over the last 40 years

There has always been a rogue element amongst us, it happens in every trade. Who knows this guy may not have been fully qualified at all. May have been working for one initially lax company that didn't check his cert's for donkeys years, just following instructions along with the other electricians and was lost track of, it happens!!

The big difference between a qualified rogue electrician and a non qualified one, is that at least the qualified guy KNOWS what he is, while the unqualified guy doesn't!!

The big difference between a qualified rogue electrician and a non qualified one, is that at least the qualified guy KNOWS what he is, while the unqualified guy doesn't!!
LOL both criminal imho, which one would get the longest sentence if their work resulted in death or someone getting a life changing belt ?

LOL both criminal imho, which one would get the longest sentence if their work resulted in death or someone getting a life changing belt ?

Fair enough....but, in your opinion, which would be the most likely to cause said result ?

Send 'em both down for life, anyway!:biggrin:

Either or, both would be charged with the same offence. Down to them how they defend themselves against any charges brought against them....

Just met an old time qualified retired spark,he was brilliant at his job,no botches,no cutting corners,a joy to behold

Does that statement above mean anything to anyone regarding the industry as whole:I think not

I bet each one of us could name a good/poor electrical worker whatever age they may be and whatever training they had or didn't have
Society is made up of all sorts in all walks of life

You will always meet a cowboy who is time served, however they are far and few between, you will occassionally meet a competant Electrical Trainee, however they are far and few between lol, Imagine being able to talk to Tony and E54 for a couple of hours on a site and to absorb the knowlege they have, then imagine talking to a Electrical Trainee who wires up Houses for a couple of hours, I know which I would prefer, I would pay for the first and want to be paid for the second.

Twisted and wrapped. This would have been considered a bodge even back in the day right ?

2014-09-12 15.17.09.jpg 2014-09-12 15.34.49.jpg

You will always meet a cowboy who is time served, however they are far and few between, you will occassionally meet a competant Electrical Trainee, however they are far and few between lol, Imagine being able to talk to Tony and E54 for a couple of hours on a site and to absorb the knowlege they have, then imagine talking to a Electrical Trainee who wires up Houses for a couple of hours, I know which I would prefer, I would pay for the first and want to be paid for the second.

How much do I owe you by now then Mike? :smile5:

Skills like that come in handy at Xmas time , wrapping parcels ...

Maybe it was the heat shrink off the day....lol..

jeez. we had to improvise before cable ties were invented. these young 'uns have it easy. even got calculators now to perform a simple differential equation.

Reply to Its not just the Electrical Trainee, some of the old timers are just as bad in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net