Discuss job interview q's in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

It makes you wonder if there was a job in the first place - 'try out' 5 people for 2 days each and you've got a fortnight's free labour from a series of people who are out to impress, rather than being on the phone half the time trying to line up their next job.

in the legal world,you consented to the arrangement and the likelyhood is that he would win

When you put it that way it does make sense.. "come work for me" sounds a lot different than "come in so i can assess you!"
But surely you would expect to be paid especially leaving one job with an agency to gain full time work in my trade should hold up as something substantial.

but then again the courts wont ever look it at that way. I should just go and slash his tires so he can lose 2 days work

It makes you wonder if there was a job in the first place
Im pretty sure he already had someone in mind but couldnt start till a few days after the contract had begun.

:/ ahhwell. Ive learned sum hard lessons in this trade lol :/

Im pretty sure he already had someone in mind but couldnt start till a few days after the contract had begun.
Either way there wasn't a job for you or anyone else to go to - just a couple of days before this other guy started, which the boss decided he didn't have to pay you for, when he should have got an agency guy in to cover.
. I should just go and slash his tires so he can lose 2 days work
Sometimes a bit of 'summary justice' is the only way.*

*I don't condone 'summary justice'.

Its turning into a slanging match now.. I dont get paid because i didnt ask to get paid apparently.. I hate this... I always seem to have to fight to get paid whether it be from a customer or an employer... Its just doing my head in so bad.

But seriously though... Am i in the wrong here? In the interview he said i would know by tuesday if i had the job or not.. Monday night he msg's me to say that he is concerned about the experience that i have had so he asked if i could come in for 2days so i could be assessed. I said sure no problem..

In the interview he asked how much would i like to get paid.. I said regarding my level of experience £10p/h which i dont think is too bad.
Anyways, job done n dusted I nicely asked if there was a chance of getting paid for the work done. His reply was "i thought wed/thurs was free so I could assess you"
There and then i knew i should of asked before i went in to find out if it were payed work but i didnt really want to screw my chances of not getting the job but i held back because in my mind ofcourse id be getting paid.. why wouldnt i??

I had to travel an hour and 45mins to get there for 730am and work till he said thats enough for today. Even though the job was advertised 40mins away from home.
And now im writing up an invoice and taking it to county court.

In my mind he already had someone for the job but just couldnt start till friday so thats probably why he had me in doing all of this fiddly crap that he didnt want to do. Its not like i learned anything anyway. I was drilling holes most of the time getting **** flunged at me from the bricklayers working above..

should i just count this as another write off or follow it through?
I dunno.. Courts never really go in my favor anyway...

regards,
nick

put it down to expierence,you will be on a loser taking him to court on heresay and try not to sound so bitter,after all you agreed to it all,it takes a man to walk away..keep on keeping on.

There are loads of inexperienced sparkies about offering free labour, so if he described it as a 2 day 'assessment' and you didn't ask for any money then hes not really doing anything wrong. Still a tight fisted ******* of course...I'd never have anyone work for me for free, If they were really s*** I'd just give em a nifty after day one and say "don't bother comin back tomorrow"

Reply to job interview q's in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net