Discuss job interview SKILL TEST?? in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

pmac10

ive got a second interview coming up for a large food manufacturing company which includes a skill test, any maintenance electricians here that have done one and what did it involve? or maybe your company sets them for new prospective employees?

I've generally had test to ascertain I can get online and interogate PLC's, identifying various types of hydraulic and pneumatic valves, reasons for late break of contacts for invertors, and basic fault finding test. Its never anything to demanding.

That doesn't mean I've never fluffed this process before!!!!!!!

As you already know its about preparation.

This is the only decent part of the interview process. Anyone can talk a load of tosh and lie about what they have "achieved" to impress... but showing it hands-on is the only way to go!

One good one I had:

I was given a machine schematic and asked to add a modification from their given details. Asked to identify numerous devices, to wire up certain starters, to size circuits and overloads, troubleshoot a tripped DOL motor and convert a Siemens program from STL to LAD.

A mate went for a test at a major UK automotive employer. He had to wear full PPE such as overalls, hi-viz, facemask, ear defenders, goggles and those poxy little fluffy cotton gloves, then he had to pipe up an engine cooling set-up... you know with those jubilee clips that suck your gloves into the worm drive!

I hate those psychometric tests... the spacial awareness ones are ok, but the traffic light logic ones mess me up.

Safety systems may be a priority to swot up on. Cat 2 and 3. Lock off Tag off. Knowing how to wire up safety relays, e/stops, etc...

Do you know what to set an overload to for DOL?
Do you know what to set an overload to for YD starter, after the line contactor?
Do you know how to wire a 3-wire stop-start control circuit?
Can you setup a VFD?
Can you interrogate a PLC?
Can you test a motor, or indeed strip and rebuild a 3ph squirrel cage one?

I don't expect your answers. Let us know what your test involved.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll ace it.

thanks sbrown, silvafox i was hopin you would reply, yes to all the above but im used to the manufacturers type my present company uses, thanks for the heads up though as some of those things you mentioned i couldn't do of the top of my head, by the way, i also hate those traffic light physo thingy tests, almost got into a heated 'discussion' with an HR manager at a previous test as to why her example outcome was WRONG! it was but why argue? 10 candidates where scowling at me while two more where giving me the 'knowing seal of approval'. (passed that one)

HEY...WHAT'S HAPPENED TO OUR 'THANKS' SCORES SINCE THE NEW LAYOUT?

Not that they make a difference... it's just a good thing to be able to offer points-of-view or advice.

pmac10 - sorry, I didn't take note of the OP. I know you're capable of going the distance. Good luck.

How's the schematics in MSWord going?

Unfortunately the thanks totals could not be carried over to this version so it starts us all off on a level playing field again.

silva.fox, drawings progressing nicely in word, also took a company laptop home last week as some kind sole had taken time to draw visio symbols which may or may not have been transferred to my laptop;).
liking your posts on plc forum, those yanks can be a bit abrupt!
will post skill (or lack of) test content on friday.

Ah... yes... them yanks can be abrupt... but we can all play at those games! The things with forums is you can't quite express yourself fully, people take things out of context and humour is rarely communally accepted... it often upsets someone. Sarcasm is great. Are you on there?

Let us know what your test involves, please... again... good luck!

interesting day,turned up in jeans expecting to get a bit dirty, what do i get? another hour long grilling by more engineering management !, totally unprepared but i think i winged it! (thinking on ones feet). had a factory tour followed by written test consisting of 'draw a control circuit for star/delta', ladder printout, 'if button 1 and 2 are pressed what happens?', if 1 and 3 are pressed what happens? etc, 'an overload has tripped, detail how to solve?' you get the picture.

We weren't far off in recommended notes.

YD control circuit... they don't get much tougher than that really... you need a clear head for that one.

Jeans? :eek: Cringing for ya, lad. Well... PMSL! :D

mate, i was suited and booted for the first one and when they finished with any questions? i said was unprepared and showed them the letter i was sent. 'well we like to keep people on their toes' they giggled. when i said jeans it was smart casual, not like i crawled from under a machine! it went okay though but as i was headin down the motorway home i remembered i left all the electrical engineers 'post it' notes with my YD sketches on his desk! at least it shows prior planning, its also harder to draw from your head with no components than it is to wire!:confused:

Reply to job interview SKILL TEST?? in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net