Discuss Job interview for prison spark. Advice please? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

DannyJS

Trainee
Reaction score
Morning,

I have an interview for a local prison, position is maintenance spark (mate/supporting the electrician).

Anyone on here worked on electrics in a prison before?

I am after any last minute advice on what types of electrics are involved?
Any nuggets of knowledge that would help me?
Any regs specific to prisons - if any?

Thankfully I have not set foot in a prison as yet so cant comment much on whats involved.

(no 'don't drop the soap' jokes please :sweatsmile:)

Any advice appreciated, cheers

You have to count all your stuff in and check everything is there before you leave, I've been told by colleagues who worked in prisons, can't have prisoners getting hold of anything they could you as a weapon or use to escape. Apparently female prisoners are not averse to flashing and throwing knickers and tampons etc. or so I've heard.
Can't say much more than that except most electrical fittings probably need to be bomb proof.

I'd imagine vandalism and sabotage causes the majority of work.
And awareness of sharp objects would be a high priority for and none inmates.
Not forgetting verbal abuse from the inmates.

I worked on a job at a young offenders secure unit type place. Basically keep an eye on your tools. Spare Stanley blades were a particular favourite...

If it’s anything like American prisons just now, mask, gloves, paper boiler suit and a gallon of anti bac

Thanks for the replies chaps, unfortunately it only lasted 5 minutes as they were after a qualified spark and i'm still doing my NVQ. Recruiter got it wrong! ?

If anyone is looking for a electrical maintenance job Warrington/Liverpool prisons PM me for more details - i can put you in touch with the recruiter

An acquaintance worked in a prison and I recall he had to be formally checked out and referees interviewed. There is a name for the procedure which I cannot remember - to make sure he was not a security risk or vulnerable to being leaned on. Total honesty was expected with regard to any matter which might be exploited eg: being an avid Sweet William grower, Donny Osmond fan who supports Arsenal FC and still Barrymore's connections on a ring final circuit :cool: - you get the gist. He said it is best to be honest otherwise one get's caught out. Not that surprising really having watched TV documentaries on what it is like inside UK prisons. Good luck Sir - someone has to do it. I suppose the expected standards of design and workmanship are high which are nice compensations.

Last edited:
I've done some repair jobs in a secure mental unit in the past and I certainly couldn't do it full time even in a prison where they are not supposedly mentally incapacitated.
The job takes infinitely longer as you are only allowed one tool at a time out of a locked toolbox and every tool is counted in and out

Reply to Job interview for prison spark. Advice please? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net