Discuss John Noakes changes a flood light bulb at QPR in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The one of him scaling Nelson's column is genuily scary, no safety harness and a overhang bit at the top! Can't imagine any of today's presenters have the nerve to do anything remotely as daring (or stupid) now!

On the longest ladders I've ever seen. IIRC they were wooden and bowed like a banana,

Loved Blue Peter in it's heyday with the boy Noakes and as PC said can you imagine anyone doing it on a kids show these days, the RAMS would be 20k pages long.
Watched Tottenham and the Rangers at Loftus Road back in the late 70s.

Noakes and Peter Purves, who would go on to present Kick Start…. Kids on a motorbike assault course!

I’m not saying it’s “health and safety gone mad!” Far from it… accidents happen, and chances of having one should be reduced as much as possible.

Vernon Kay on Radio 2 keeps talking about a tower crane on a site opposite his studio… he wants to do a “Dibnah” and climb up it… but the bbc risk assessment is about 47 pages long.

ITV came one year to the ice rink I go to to “surprise surprise” the old fella that used to run the kids club there… bearing in mind, at 90, he still skated every Sunday.
The programme took him to watch Torville and Dean skate, but they wouldn’t let him on the ice!

The one of him scaling Nelson's column is genuily scary, no safety harness and a overhang bit at the top! Can't imagine any of today's presenters have the nerve to do anything remotely as daring (or stupid) now!

On the longest ladders I've ever seen. IIRC they were wooden and bowed like a banana,

I remember that one. Safe as houses, he was with the late great Fred Dibnah - epic!

It's the generator engineer in great-coat and tie, shiny shoes gets me. That, an just stuffing an explosive arc-mercury lamp in your jacket.

Also...... easy to forget that there was a cameraman up there as well with a 'portable' camera of the time that would likely have been the size and weight of a fridge!!

It's the generator engineer in great-coat and tie, shiny shoes gets me. That, an just stuffing an explosive arc-mercury lamp in your jacket.

Also...... easy to forget that there was a cameraman up there as well with a 'portable' camera of the time that would likely have been the size and weight of a fridge!!
It would have been a relatively portable 16mm film camera for this one - still not one for the faint hearted though!

Reply to John Noakes changes a flood light bulb at QPR in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net