Discuss Keeping a Battery Charger Always in an Electric Outlet in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I need to know whether a battery charger can be kept in an electric outlet all the time or whether it should be disconnected every time after a smartphone has been charged. It is not convenient for me to have to disconnect it from the electric outlet every time. Does a battery charger deteriorate if it is always kept connected?

most phone chargers are designed to be left inserted in the outlet between charges, however you should check your instructions for confirmation and always use a genuine charger, not a cheep copy as they can be dangerous.

I rarely leave chargers switched on overnight, just in case. As above, use good quality ones and not cheap Ebay soecials.

Do your socket outlets in Russia not have switches?

Welcome to the forum mate.
Our phone chargers are always plugged in but they have individual switches and are switched off when not in use.... Not that that helps you.. ?

A good quality charger should last many years plugged into an outlet and is likely to outlast the phone. It would probably last longer if unplugged when not in use. As mentioned above, cheap and counterfeit chargers are often not made to proper safety standards and pose a small but non-zero risk of fire. Obviously that risk remains all the time the charger is plugged in.

The UK is one of only a few countries to have switched sockets as standard. Some of the other locations that favour switches are ones that inherited a socket design from us, e.g. BS546 adopted in SA and India, BS1363 in Malaysia and Malta.

The Russian ГОСТ 7396-C standards are implementations of the European CEE7 socket types which tend not to have switches. Amongst CEE7 types and close relatives (4 - 4.8mm pins on 19mm centres) there are regional variations e.g. Denmark is much more into switched sockets than Germany. With the NEMA types used in the USA and derivative systems, switches are rare indeed. It would be more common to find an outlet (for lighting) controlled by one gang of a multi-gang light switch

p.s. The guys started showing off their sockets with switches :))

haha. I actually meant the extension lead (with switches) that the chargers are plugged into.

Mines always plugged in and on 24/7. Never had any issues. Key thing is to use good branded chargers and regularly check for overheating or other defects. Any issues and I get it changed.

Thank you for the explanations. I can see now that I can keep battery chargers connected for convenient use. When they are connected but not charging any devices, do they draw any electricity, and are they heated internally?

I do not remember ever seeing switches in electric outlets. I only know of a "smart socket" which can be inserted into an electric outlet.

Thank you for the explanations. I can see now that I can keep battery chargers connected for convenient use. When they are connected but not charging any devices, do they draw any electricity, and are they heated internally?

I do not remember ever seeing switches in electric outlets. I only know of a "smart socket" which can be inserted into an electric outlet.

They do draw a very small amount of electricity when not charging, but it is tiny.

Reply to Keeping a Battery Charger Always in an Electric Outlet in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net