• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Kitchen counter top sockets in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

Razzmond

What are the rules for sockets on an island in a kitchen. Sockets to be fitted to counter top. Also are there any recommendations on which sockets to use?

No IP rating? Doesn't seem particularly safe if someone spills water

The appropriate ratings of installed equipment to suit it's environment is covered by the wiring regs. It would be down to an assessment by you as to the risks involved and environmental hazards, and then select and install appropriate equipment.

Are they not going to have these sockets that rise up (or flip up) out of the worktop? I don't know how good they are.
What type do the customers want?

Cheers, the customer wants those pop out cylinder ones but is shopping around and making a choice based on its aesthetics. Wasn't sure if we needed to advise on an appropriate IP rating.

Does it really need to be ip rated, I've got one on my desk can't remember if it's particularly sealed when closed but it's a pretty big hole below around 4 inch so water etc will pass through. Also expect circuit protection to operate and then they'll know there's a problem
Can you stick it out of the way as far as poss ?

Cheers, the customer wants those pop out cylinder ones but is shopping around and making a choice based on its aesthetics. Wasn't sure if we needed to advise on an appropriate IP rating.

Read post 4 for IP rating. You know what is going into the island and you will be the one that gets called back when the RCD keeps tripping cause "it got splashed, just a bit"

But as long as you let them know prior to fitting the risks then that's a nice callout to reset a Rcd every other week

Nice until the customers get fed-up and they call out another electrician, who then calls the original electrician a muppet for not designing the circuit properly.

The pop up ones I like, have the sockets upside down, with the USB ports at the top controlled by a switch.
As the flexes of whatever is plugged in point up, it means the pop up can be closed, with the flexes exiting through a small flap in the top of the pop up.

Does it really need to be ip rated, I've got one on my desk can't remember if it's particularly sealed when closed but it's a pretty big hole below around 4 inch so water etc will pass through. Also expect circuit protection to operate and then they'll know there's a problem
Can you stick it out of the way as far as poss ?

Customer was worried about a kettle being spilt, or any other fluid as it was also going to be a preperation area. Personally, Id have said just go for the pop out ones, but they wanted to shop for other designs and in the absence of anyone with electrical knowledge I was fairly sure we needed to tell her to buy a certain IP rating

Reply to Kitchen counter top sockets in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back