Discuss Kitchen electrical work in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

When you say attached do you mean they've fixed them to the floor??
You also say this is work thus far, so could this be a temporary setup before sparky comes back to finish and make good?

If that is his idea of a complete installation then that's not acceptable at all. The back boxes should have been sat into the wall fixed and having them on the floor is dangerous if there were ever a water leak nearby and cables and enclosures will be succeptable to damage if left like this.

I genuinely didn't know it was like that until I pulled out the tumble dryer. I have been in touch with the joiner who was dealing with the electrician who done the work, as I'm extremely annoyed about this.

Is the socket that has been attached to the floor ok, or should I be concerned about this also?

Thanks
It's commonly seen with kitchen fitters, unfortunately - most built in appliances don't have room behind them for a plug these days, so they either end up in an adjoining cupboard, or underneath. The cable and back box should both be suitably fixed though.

The socket on the floor is not a huge problem imo if they are fixed - unless there is a likelihood of a flood - though the cables should be clipped so that the cables can't work loose or pull out. Those back boxes don't usually have cable clamps in them so rely on the cables being fixed to them as well as the box being mounted.

Do have to wonder why the decorative fronts were used where the socket will never be seen though - seems like a waste of money.

When you say attached do you mean they've fixed them to the floor??
You also say this is work thus far, so could this be a temporary setup before sparky comes back to finish and make good?

If that is his idea of a complete installation then that's not acceptable at all. The back boxes should have been sat into the wall fixed and having them on the floor is dangerous if there were ever a water leak nearby and cables and enclosures will be succeptable to damage if left like this.
The reply i got back from the joiner that brought in the electrician, was that 'the sparky had fitted it right on the floor, due to issues with space for plug on the wall'?

I'm just glad I double checked everything over and have since been back in touch with the joiner who is dealing with the electrician, there both due back out tomorrow to hopefully fix everything how it should be.

Dartlec can I just confirm that the cable mount and socket is fine on floor if its mounted?.. Which it is.

Red Tony is this something you wouldn't do or something that definitely shouldn't be done?.. I understand what you are saying about flooding and it would be safer wall mounted, suppose i have to take everything into consideration.

Thanks all for your help, its a bit of an eye opener..

dogs dinner,
the socket with the conduit poking out of the side.
no gland on the conduit, looks like it is just shoved in the hole?
no clips to secure conduit to wall.
I would not be happy with that.

if it were me, the sockets would be in adjacent cupboards so you can access them
screwed to floor is not a great idea, gives the best chance of getting wet when the washing m/c goes wrong.

they all go wrong in the end and end up soaking the floor below them, its just how many years they last before doing so.

dogs dinner,

if it were me, the sockets would be in adjacent cupboards so you can access them
screwed to floor is not a great idea, gives the best chance of getting wet when the washing m/c goes wrong.

they all go wrong in the end and end up soaking the floor below them, its just how many years they last before doing so.
dogs dinner,

The reply i got back from the joiner that brought in the electrician, was that 'the sparky had fitted it right on the floor, due to issues with space for plug on the wall'?

I'm just glad I double checked everything over and have since been back in touch with the joiner who is dealing with the electrician, there both due back out tomorrow to hopefully fix everything how it should be.

Dartlec can I just confirm that the cable mount and socket is fine on floor if its mounted?.. Which it is.

Red Tony is this something you wouldn't do or something that definitely shouldn't be done?.. I understand what you are saying about flooding and it would be safer wall mounted, suppose i have to take everything into consideration.

Thanks all for your help, its a bit of an eye opener..
As far as I know it's not a problem in terms of being compliant with the Wiring Regulations specifically, though there is an argument that it's not suitable for the location as regards the potential for leaks, etc.

I prefer to put the socket in an adjoining cupboard. With most appliances these days there is rarely space behind them for a socket/plug.

If I was doing it from scratch, I'd have a Fused Connection unit above the worktop on the wall, with a cable outlet below in the wall for the appliance. But then you sometimes run into manufacturers who get funny if you cut the plug off their shiny new appliance.

At the very least, if the sockets were going on the floor, putting them directly under a 'wet' appliance is maybe not the best idea....

My point was generally that wherever the socket goes, it should be mounted properly as should the cable to it.

So the conduit should be attached to a gland for sealant. The thing is this is right behind my washing machine.

I'm beginning to wish I had got another electrician in myself now, as I'm guessing this is all bog standard stuff he should know and be doing for safety.

Stupidly enough the joiner has already been paid, for all work. I payed him in installments with completion of each part (as far as I knew!)...He sorted out the electrician out of his own pocket which was then added into overall cost, no doubt a little extra for him.

He has kept to his word up to this point and has kept me in the loop, as far as I know. Any issues I have been able to contact him straight away.

Regardless I do still wished I got an electrician in myself to save this hassle.

Last edited:
So the conduit should be attached to a gland for sealant. The thing is this is right behind my washing machine.

I'm beginning to wish I had got another electrician in myself now, as I'm guessing this is all bog standard stuff he should know and be doing for safety.
It's hard to tell from the picture whether the flexible conduit is glanded correctly to the back box or not. If the flexible conduit was fixed to the wall properly then it might well be suitable - though indicative of a "kitchen fitter" job rather than a well planned electrical installation.

Electrical installation often gets overlooked in kitchen installs unfortunately, and once units are in then the options for running cabling are limited. I've seen some very expensive kitchens with much worse electrical installation where it isn't immediately visible.

The main thing will be to ensure you get a certificate for the work (Probably a Minor Works Certificate), as that will at least show that the work was tested as safe.

Kitchen electrical work 0350265B-3192-439A-A960-A493EEA5707F - EletriciansForums.netKitchen electrical work 5D8787A3-AA18-48D0-8661-7ECE2FC944F3 - EletriciansForums.net
although other types of conduit gland are available, i have never seen one that is not visible from the outside of the enclosure.

It's hard to tell from the picture whether the flexible conduit is glanded correctly to the back box or not. If the flexible conduit was fixed to the wall properly then it might well be suitable - though indicative of a "kitchen fitter" job rather than a well planned electrical installation.

Electrical installation often gets overlooked in kitchen installs unfortunately, and once units are in then the options for running cabling are limited. I've seen some very expensive kitchens with much worse electrical installation where it isn't immediately visible.

The main thing will be to ensure you get a certificate for the work (Probably a Minor Works Certificate), as that will at least show that the work was tested as safe.

I was informed by the electrician he couldn't certificate the work, due to the consumer unit not inline with 18th edition standards, which would be a fail.

Couple of the other quotes from other electricians said the exact same thing if they were to do the work. Only way around it to certificate it would be install a new consumer unit, which wasn't in my budget.

oh, scary stuff.

if you cant write a certificate in good faith, you cant do the work.

his installation should meet current standards.
if it doesn't, then it should be agreed with the customer and marked on the cert as a deviation.

would you have a gas boiler installed if the gas fitter said, ok i will do it but i cant write a safety cert for the install because there is something wrong that i can't be arsed to fix?

I was informed by the electrician he couldn't certificate the work, due to the consumer unit not inline with 18th edition standards, which would be a fail.

Couple of the other quotes from other electricians said the exact same thing if they were to the work.
Interesting - I was going to comment that Part P makes doing unsuitable work illegal, even if it's not notifiable, but then realised you are in Scotland so things are rather different (though not laxer to my understanding)

Out of interest, what was the part that didn't comply? RCD protection?

There are usually ways to ensure that the bit they have done is compliant, and issue a certificate for their bit with a suitable description of the work and any exclusions.

Interesting - I was going to comment that Part P makes doing unsuitable work illegal, even if it's not notifiable, but then realised you are in Scotland so things are rather different (though not laxer to my understanding)

Out of interest, what was the part that didn't comply? RCD protection?

There are usually ways to ensure that the bit they have done is compliant, and issue a certificate for their bit with a suitable description of the work and any exclusions.
I think the original plan by the electrician was to put in an additional 2 way CU for the kitchen presumably for the reasons you allude to, but kitchen cowboy declared this unnecessary (and probably spurred it all off the lighting circuit for good measure.)

oh, scary stuff.

if you cant write a certificate in good faith, you cant do the work.

his installation should meet current standards.
if it doesn't, then it should be agreed with the customer and marked on the cert as a deviation.

would you have a gas boiler installed if the gas fitter said, ok i will do it but i cant write a safety cert for the install because there is something wrong that i can't be arsed to fix?

I do agree about the certificate, i thought it was a bit strange, regardless of the type of consumer unit i have.

The couple other quotes I had done prior to install by this guy, said the exact same thing if there were to go ahead with the job. So are they all on fiddle locally ??

The consumer unit i have, does need replaced as it isn't up to todays standards, that I do know. The electrician that done the job did say to me there was enough leeway in the system to fit what I needed done rather than fitting two way. But how would I know any different as I ain't the electrician.

I appreciate all your feedback, I have clearly made the wrong decision agreeing to have this guy do the work.

I do agree about the certificate, i thought it was a bit strange, regardless of the type of consumer unit i have.

The couple other quotes I had done prior to install by this guy, said the exact same thing if there were to go ahead with the job. So are they all on fiddle locally ??

The consumer unit i have, does need replaced as it isn't up to todays standards, that I do know. The electrician that done the job did say to me there was enough leeway in the system to fit what I needed done rather than fitting two way. But how would I know any different as I ain't the electrician.

I appreciate all your feedback, I have clearly made the wrong decision agreeing to have this guy do the work.
Probably doesn't help, but I've seen worse on kitchen fitting jobs even in England since Part P came in...

The point of the certificate is more to show that the new wiring was actually tested to ensure that it wasn't damaged during installation, earth loop impendances are suitably low, etc to ensure that whatever protection you do have will trip in the case of a fault. The fact that things work is no guarantee of that. (Leaving aside the issue that new work *should* be installed to the current regulations)

It is possible to have a "safe" installation that doesn't meet current regulations in every particular, but if no testing was done then there is no way for you to know if that is the case.

Looking forward, one option may be to get the original electrician you had planned to get in to do an EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report) on the existing installation so at least you know the state of things - That would also allow him to give an accurate quote on a new consumer unit as much of the testing work is replicated.

Thanks again. Just don't understand why he wouldn't want to certificate the work he done and do a proper job, regardless of the issue with the consumer unit. Its not like it was a pittance i paid for the work.The best of it is, hes back out tomorrow to sort out the issues i have flagged up. What hope do i have on it being rectified!!!...

I'm clearly going to have to do something eventually, but sadly for now I have maxed out finances and then some on this kitchen install and appliances, so have no extra to get someone else out just now.

Just can't believe this, what a bloody disaster!

If it were me doing it I'd have wall mounted everything and instead of sockets I'd have put fcu's in and put fuses from plugs in to suit and labelled them up in case were ever disconnected in future.
If a jobs worth doing its worth doing right.

Reply to Kitchen electrical work in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock