Discuss Kitchen electrical work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thanks again. Just don't understand why he wouldn't want to certificate the work he done and do a proper job, regardless of the issue with the consumer unit. Its not like it was a pittance i paid for the work.The best of it is, hes back out tomorrow to sort out the issues i have flagged up. What hope do i have on it being rectified!!!...

I'm clearly going to have to do something eventually, but sadly for now I have maxed out finances and then some on this kitchen install and appliances, so have no extra to get someone else out just now.

Just can't believe this, what a bloody disaster!
Unfortunately I don't know the Scottish system well enough to say whether there is any comeback or route you can follow on the certificate side when you have had work done. It may be worth finding out if he is registered with any of the national bodies.

In England, installing a new domestic socket without RCD protection would likely not meet Part P of the Building Regulations, which is a statutory requirement, unlike the wiring regulations (confusingly) and policed by the Local Building Control or HSE. Unfortunately it is policed poorly and prosecutions for breaches are rare and usually only in extreme circumstances.

Sockets without RCD protection that are existing do not *have* to be brought up to standard (they can and should be when possible), which is where the wriggle room often occurs for kitchen fitters or people looking to do as little work as possible.

For now it is probably best to ensure when he is back on site that he sorts the issues you've flagged - and proves to your satisfaction that he has tested it so that it is 'safe'. He may be reasonable if approached in the right manner with your concerns - which would be calm but firm on what you consider good workmanship. If the threat of witholding money is no longer available to you then this may be a better option than angry confrontation.

If he isn't prepared to complete a certificate for just the work he has done then ask why - and perhaps try asking for a 'schedule of test results' for the circuits that have been affected at least. That would mean plugging in a proper tester and testing things like:

Earth Fault Loop Impedance Zs
Ring Continuity (if applicable) - This is an important one that can easily be messed up by any work on the circuit.
Insulation Resistance
RCD testing (I suspect this is the sticking point for not wanting to issue a certificate)

If he is unable to carry out those tests, then I'm afraid he is not an electrician of any type, but a handyman who should not have been doing the work, whatever he charged.

It might be useful to see a picture of your consumer unit. There is a wide range between 'safe' but non compliant work and dangerous bodges and it's not immediately possible to tell which your situation is.

I'd say that nothing in the photos you've shown strays past poor workmanship into definitely dangerous, though obviously it is hard to be definitive in such a situation

Last edited:

Reply to Kitchen electrical work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net