uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Kitchen electrical work in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Scolmore Electrical Products
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
in that situation i always use a 2+1 back box.

Potential issue with decorative accessories?

Between our kitchen and utility room there are three instances where a switched fcu sits beside a double socket. Only one uses a 2+1 box and those other two are spaced differently, but thankfully are on different walls. I'm inclined to agree that dual boxes or individual boxes fixed with a bush would be preferable and also easier to level.

Last edited:
I don't know if its the angle of the photo, but those two newly installed boxes look on the wonk?
Update on works ongoing. Supposedly no need to fit two way fusebox, kitchen electrical appliances were safe enough to run off existing consumer board.

Not really happy with loose switch and socket that was left behind tumble as per picture. Also unsure about socket which has been attached to flooring under the new double oven.

Looking for advice please.

Attachments

• 20201019_121033.jpg
    20201019_121033.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG-20201019-WA0003.jpeg
    IMG-20201019-WA0003.jpeg
    34.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 20201019_124229.jpg
    20201019_124229.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 20201019_124808.jpg
    20201019_124808.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 20201019_124819.jpg
    20201019_124819.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 36
That loose socket on the corner is atrocious. Should be fixed to wall and the cable clipped to support it.
I genuinely didn't know it was like that until I pulled out the tumble dryer. I have been in touch with the joiner who was dealing with the electrician who done the work, as I'm extremely annoyed about this.

Is the socket that has been attached to the floor ok, or should I be concerned about this also?

Thanks

When you say attached do you mean they've fixed them to the floor??
You also say this is work thus far, so could this be a temporary setup before sparky comes back to finish and make good?

If that is his idea of a complete installation then that's not acceptable at all. The back boxes should have been sat into the wall fixed and having them on the floor is dangerous if there were ever a water leak nearby and cables and enclosures will be succeptable to damage if left like this.

Dartlec

Esteemed
Arms
I genuinely didn't know it was like that until I pulled out the tumble dryer. I have been in touch with the joiner who was dealing with the electrician who done the work, as I'm extremely annoyed about this.

Is the socket that has been attached to the floor ok, or should I be concerned about this also?

Thanks
It's commonly seen with kitchen fitters, unfortunately - most built in appliances don't have room behind them for a plug these days, so they either end up in an adjoining cupboard, or underneath. The cable and back box should both be suitably fixed though.

The socket on the floor is not a huge problem imo if they are fixed - unless there is a likelihood of a flood - though the cables should be clipped so that the cables can't work loose or pull out. Those back boxes don't usually have cable clamps in them so rely on the cables being fixed to them as well as the box being mounted.

Do have to wonder why the decorative fronts were used where the socket will never be seen though - seems like a waste of money.

When you say attached do you mean they've fixed them to the floor??
You also say this is work thus far, so could this be a temporary setup before sparky comes back to finish and make good?

If that is his idea of a complete installation then that's not acceptable at all. The back boxes should have been sat into the wall fixed and having them on the floor is dangerous if there were ever a water leak nearby and cables and enclosures will be succeptable to damage if left like this.
The reply i got back from the joiner that brought in the electrician, was that 'the sparky had fitted it right on the floor, due to issues with space for plug on the wall'?

I'm just glad I double checked everything over and have since been back in touch with the joiner who is dealing with the electrician, there both due back out tomorrow to hopefully fix everything how it should be.

Dartlec can I just confirm that the cable mount and socket is fine on floor if its mounted?.. Which it is.

Red Tony is this something you wouldn't do or something that definitely shouldn't be done?.. I understand what you are saying about flooding and it would be safer wall mounted, suppose i have to take everything into consideration.

Thanks all for your help, its a bit of an eye opener..

James

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
dogs dinner,
the socket with the conduit poking out of the side.
no gland on the conduit, looks like it is just shoved in the hole?
no clips to secure conduit to wall.
I would not be happy with that.

if it were me, the sockets would be in adjacent cupboards so you can access them
screwed to floor is not a great idea, gives the best chance of getting wet when the washing m/c goes wrong.

they all go wrong in the end and end up soaking the floor below them, its just how many years they last before doing so.

Reply to Kitchen electrical work in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.