Discuss Klein Tools Are they worth the extra money in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

One thing I do keep in my own tool box is my grandfathers military issue cable stripping knife..
Think it dates back to around 1940

It’s blunt as a spoon but very sentimental

The klein sidecutters from 20 years ago were 6" total, the ones I see in CEF are all 8" tall and aren't great for ease of use,
The pliers are good for cutting screws, but I still prefer my knipex, I have a set of the £30 screwdrivers had them 3 years and still good tips on them except the terminal, but overall my favourite screwdriver is the Wiha range, find the grips much nicer and the tips are as good as the klein, in fact better as the terminal is stronger.

I only have the klein sidecutters and pliers as I wanted a voltstick and a couple extra screwdrivers and at the time it worked out at about £38 the pair when bought in the price marked blister packs.

Knipex every time for me, have dabbled with others, ck were a nasty cast metal that actually snapped when I was prying a screw or something out of a bit of wood, a bit heavy handed but even so. Had a pair of bahco ones which I quite liked as they had a really narrow nose so quite nimble. Had a pair of Kewtec ones they were ok until I blew them up. Then every time I go back to knipex and the quality feels night and day they just feel right in your hand. So my cutters history in 13 years reads CK, Knipex, Bahco, Kewtec, Bahco, Knipex, Knipex. And I haven't blown the jaws up on a pair for 4 or 5 years now, since I started working on my own! Yay me :D

bahco and NWS in my bag. knipex for insulated crimps as the jaws are very narrow so i can do each end of the crimp separately.

For side cutters I use NWS as the price to quality ratio is very good.
Knipex for pliers and long nose etc etc
Used to use ck screwdrivers but more recently use Stanley.
Have also tried bahco , Draper , irazola and wiha screwdrivers.
I tend to just buy what ever is on offer.

Have been tempted to purchase one of those fancy wera interchange vde jobbies. But will wait till my Stanleys have worn out..

Back in the day it was for me anyway Elliot Lucas pliers, I think I paid £18 for them back in the 80's and CK side cutters, gave my Yankee away last year with the set of 3 bits back in the day it was handy for attaching conduit boxes to the ceiling still had the jubilee clip on it to stop it rolling of scaffold towers.

As with any tool, you need to handle it to see how it lays in your hand weight wise and for use.

I do like my Knipex multi pliers but they do seem a tad "girly" fine for house bashers I suppose but not for the manly job of industrial work unless you are in the switch room connecting heating control wires up.........

Cus they are aimed at the Lineman community

That would explain it ...

For residential I have seen them use little Klein strippers for cutting Romex and stripping etc

These are for more residential electricians ?

Quite nice actually

Out of curiosity is there any reason why Klein side cutters and pliers are so ruddy massive ?
Cus they are aimed at the Lineman community
They also sell replacement handles so take a look for you tool refurb project, maybe try to blag a freebie ;o))))
Thanks for the heads up Mate will look into it.

Tbh I don't rate wera screwdrivers at all, 2 sets and both sets pz1 & 2 wore the tips, in around 12-18 months.

The cheaper set that's regularly on offer kept their tips far longer than the more expensive set with the lasered tips.

The Klein VDE screwdrivers are amongst the worst I've used for over hardened snapping tips. I use Bahco slim tips, The Best a Man Can Get....(and Sparkychick).
My CEF was recently knocking out the big clumsy cutters for a tenner, presumably they cant sell them. I bought a pair and found them pretty much unuseable, big and clumsy, I'll keep them for chopping live cables ……...;)

that's because they are designed for obese americans who can't be surgically removed from their catcher's gloves.
Or it could be because the CSA is higher due to higher current so the cables are thicker? Are they? I guessed that..never seen any USA cable..

I believe you may find that Klein Tools were originally set up for the Distribution/Linemen community, their Pliers are called Linemen pliers, to which the Linemen refer to them as " were are my Klein's" meaning pliers.
They have in recent years started making insulated Tools to fit in with their incursion into the UK market, given time you may find they will introduce smaller pliers etc to fit our small hands.
I bought and still have some "Kleins" when I was last in the US, still in vey good condition, which shows how good they are made, so please don't knock them, something good to come out of the States in my opinion. Maybe you should subscribe to "Tradesman TV "for an insight inti the manufacturing methods.

Reply to Klein Tools Are they worth the extra money in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net