Discuss Landlord Certificate! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Shock Doctor

Hi everyone,

I had an inquiry from a letting agent this morning asking if I did a " Landlord Certificate ". I assumed they ment a PIR which I explained as I dont have a C&G 2391 I am unable to carry out PIR's.

No thats not what they ment, apparently the electrician who they used to have doing there work would issue a Landlord Safety Certificate for new lets. Has anyone heard of this? what does it involve? or is it rubbish. I thought I would ask before damning someone as I am only a humble domestic installer still learning but I do believe in going by the book so if Im missing something or the wiser ones of you out there could let me know I would be as always very grateful for your thoughts.

Ta very much!

Re: Landlord Certificate WTF!

It sounds like the dreaded 'Domestic Visual Condition Report'.

I've come across this before, where we've quoted say £200 for a PIR only to be told we lost the job to a £50 DVCR that quite frankly isn't worth a dime and in my so humble opinion has no place in our trade!

Thanks IQ,

Confirmed what i thought. Its a not worth the paper its on report. I dont get why they want them then if it covers nothing, isnt recognised by any industry standard or scheme! What is the point of having them then? I wouldnt want to put my name on a "yeah it looks alright report" especially with tenants you would be asking for trouble.

But there's the strange bit, IIRC the NICEIC actually introduced this document for single phase, single dwelling ADS properties fed from 1 source of supply only.

The original idea was to allow it to be used to identify "damage, deterioration or visually-evident defects which affect or may affect safety"

The problem is, the document has been abused as a way of providing unaware clients with a cheap "test report"

question here. minor works. addition of FCU to ring main ( RCD protected.) IMO not a notifiable job as regards part p. am i right?

Well you live and learn! Excuse my lack of knowledge I thought to issue a PIR involving inspection and testing I would need 2391. So could I offer the letting agent a PIR or do I now need to be assessed by elecsa first? Sorry if this is something I should already know.

"question here. minor works. addition of FCU to ring main ( RCD protected.) IMO not a notifiable job as regards part p. am i right?"

As long as it's not in a kitchen....

Thanks again IQ,

Very interesting reading, however I think I will avoid PIRs untill I have more experience to be on the safe side. Thanks again all who replied.

Reply to Landlord Certificate! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net